building v17 on MacOS

Support and general discussion.
StLouisCPhT

building v17 on MacOS

Post by StLouisCPhT »

I'm wondering if anyone here has successfully managed to compile v17 for macOS using the previously posted directions at https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 863#p13863.

I gave it a shot but ran into a lot of new errors regarding wx, so I'm still hanging out on v16.
Last edited by StLouisCPhT on Sat 16 Jan, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davide78

Re: v17 on MacOS

Post by davide78 »

I've managed to compile v17 under Mac OS catalina and the latest XCode by adding

Code: Select all

#include <sys/time.h>
to wx-threads.c, and

#include <stdint.h>
to slirp/slirp.h

Oddly, now I have to add the includes event to compile v16, while the last time I worked on the code (before the v17 feature freeze) they where not needed.
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

I was able to compile v17 on Mac OS with no additional changes from the original instructions (I'm on OSX 10.14.6) but I've noticed that some of my machines now run dog slow. If I copy the pcem executable v16 back over everything runs normal again. It seems to affect the PMMX class machines.
StLouisCPhT

Post by StLouisCPhT »

davide78 wrote:
Mon 07 Dec, 2020 9:40 am
I've managed to compile v17 under Mac OS catalina and the latest XCode by adding

#include <sys/time.h>
to wx-threads.c, and

#include <stdint.h>
to slirp/slirp.h

Oddly, now I have to add the includes event to compile v16, while the last time I worked on the code (before the v17 feature freeze) they where not needed.
Your addition to wx-thread.c got rid of the time error.

Adding #include <unistd.h> to slirp/slirp.h dealt with clang reporting implicit declaration of function close(s) errors in the following spots:

slirp/debug.c
slirp/misc.c
slirp/socket.c
slirp/top_subr.c
slirp/tftp.c
slirp/udp.c

Just a heads up: #include <stdint.h> exists at line 80 in slirp/slirp.h, so you shouldn't need to add it yourself.

Now to figure out how to get my finished build of v17 to stop having a fit about where wx is at over on my ARM MacBook Pro.
davide78

Post by davide78 »

StLouisCPhT wrote:
Wed 09 Dec, 2020 12:43 am
Adding #include <unistd.h> to slirp/slirp.h dealt with clang reporting implicit declaration of function close(s) errors in the following spots:

Just a heads up: #include <stdint.h> exists at line 80 in slirp/slirp.h, so you shouldn't need to add it yourself.
You are right. Indeed, in the actual code I added #include <unistd.h>. I copy-pasted the wrong line of code in my previous message.
StLouisCPhT

Post by StLouisCPhT »

Last edited by StLouisCPhT on Fri 15 Jan, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
caiot5

Post by caiot5 »

TonyM wrote:
Mon 07 Dec, 2020 5:11 pm
I was able to compile v17 on Mac OS with no additional changes from the original instructions (I'm on OSX 10.14.6) but I've noticed that some of my machines now run dog slow. If I copy the pcem executable v16 back over everything runs normal again. It seems to affect the PMMX class machines.
The reason for some of your machines are behaving so freaking slow is that the Dynamic Recompiler is completely broken on macOS with (pcem) v17, so every machine that relies only on Dynarec (like Pentium-class CPUs) are unusablely slow.
All that is left for us is downgrade to v16 again and hope that someday someone could fix the dynarec for macOS (which I would not expect much since there is such a low interest in porting properly Pcem for macOS).
StLouisCPhT

Post by StLouisCPhT »

caiot5 wrote:
Wed 13 Jan, 2021 9:21 pm
(which I would not expect much since there is such a low interest in porting properly Pcem for macOS).
That comment is not exactly going to encourage Sarah or anyone else to help out.

And making a post that is not even relevant to the post topic (building v17 on macOS) is bad form also.
Last edited by StLouisCPhT on Sat 16 Jan, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caiot5

Post by caiot5 »

I wasn't trying to motivate anyone. It's up to her to code whatever she wants to. I just wanted to give a technical approach to this topic since no one ever mentioned that the problem was with the Dynamic Recompiller before.
So yes, it was quite relevant from the technical point of view.
It's your comment just to criticize me that didn't added anything relevant to this discussion.
Kthxbye.