CD-ROM enabled but empty reports no CD drive.

Support and general discussion.
SA1988

CD-ROM enabled but empty reports no CD drive.

Post by SA1988 »

This happens with the faster vide-cdd.sys driver that is fully atapi compatible and I've been told it works better than oakcdrom because it actually makes LBA1 work correctly, but when the CD-ROM settings are set to Empty but enabled, this driver reports no CD drive connected and this bug doesn't happen on VPC2007 (I've tested it by the way).
truth

Re: CD-ROM enabled but empty reports no CD drive.

Post by truth »

That conclusion is unverified since Tom is helping debug that LBA1 issue. It is so far unverified that the vide-cdd driver is better since it supports LBA1. Since he has provided easy instructions on debugging and testing so that opinions are verified, it would be reasonable to use those instructions to help debug the LBA1 issue instead of putting aside the original issue as fully solved (see the recent thread on the LBA1/2 issue).
SA1988

Post by SA1988 »

well, now I've used a Goldstar CD-ROM Driver (Atapi-compatible, named gscdrom.sys, from 1996/1997) and it's a lot better than vide-cdd.sys and the transfer speech from LBA1 with this Goldstar driver succeeds and takes no more than a half second :D.
Battler

Post by Battler »

- truth: That LBA 1 issue turned out to happen only when OAKCDROM.SYS (or possibly any other CD-ROM driver too) is loaded into a segment between B000 and B7FF, and it might have happen on real hardware too. I never tested loading OAKCDROM.SYS into that segment on real hardware or orther emulators or virtualizers, so I don't know. Of course, it's still premature to mark it as solved (but SA1988 has a tendency to consider temporary workarounds as proper solutions for some reason), but at least it points at the fact the issue is not with the CD-ROM emulation per se, but with something else.
truth

Post by truth »

That's good work. And also your documenting of the issue is very helpful. I think at some point the forum would require a guide to debugging, it would enhance development greatly.