The CD Audio handling

Support and general discussion.
SA1988

The CD Audio handling

Post by SA1988 »

Although the readme says that it has bugs, some basic functions of the cdaudio handling are still buggy, especially when it first plays a song (it plays 1 or 2 seconds late than normal, therefore, skipping the first 2 seconds of the song) and sometimes won't play at all (both on DOS and Windows; for Windows, any version) even though I've been using Alcohol 120% Free Edition and Daemon Tools to try it with various cdaudio virtual formats (BIN/CUE, MDS/MDF, NRG, etc).
leilei

Re: The CD Audio handling

Post by leilei »

What about with real CDs and a host CD drive?

I wouldn't trust anything ripped with Alcohol 120% one bit because of the outofsync track times. I just Imgburn/CloneCD everything I have
Last edited by leilei on Sun 30 Nov, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SA1988

Post by SA1988 »

same thing happens.
Battler

Post by Battler »

- SA1988: Most probably something just reports the wrong starting time for the first tracks to PCem. Remember, pretty much all Audio CD's start with a 2 second pause, the Red Book standard says they must, so all CD player software is most probably designed to skip those 2 seconds. Most probably when PCem communicates with the host CD drive, it doesn't add the 2 seconds to the first track's starting time when it reports it to the guest, causing 2 seconds to be skipped when they shouldn't be. Remember also that PCem communicates with the host drive in user mode so most probably all it can get is pre-processed information the OS passes to it. So I'm not even sure it can be fixed.
SA1988

Post by SA1988 »

Battler wrote:- SA1988: Most probably something just reports the wrong starting time for the first tracks to PCem. Remember, pretty much all Audio CD's start with a 2 second pause, the Red Book standard says they must, so all CD player software is most probably designed to skip those 2 seconds. Most probably when PCem communicates with the host CD drive, it doesn't add the 2 seconds to the first track's starting time when it reports it to the guest, causing 2 seconds to be skipped when they shouldn't be. Remember also that PCem communicates with the host drive in user mode so most probably all it can get is pre-processed information the OS passes to it. So I'm not even sure it can be fixed.
ok thanks, but the fact that sometimes won't play at all is a bug.
Battler

Post by Battler »

- SA1988: Did you try the same discs on a real machine running an old OS? To presume it should play correctly there just because it does on your host OS is wrong.
SA1988

Post by SA1988 »

confirmed the issue occurs from rv184 and up (doesn't on 183 and earlier).