sound stutters on win95 and win98

Support and general discussion.
rliegh

sound stutters on win95 and win98

Post by rliegh »

Hi

I compiled a recent version of PCem and installed Windows 95 on it, and the sound stuttered badly, also the mouse moved very slowly. I recompiled it with the dynamic recompiler enabled, set the machine to a pentium 233MX and it didnt' appear to make any difference. I am using windows 7/64 bit on a 2011 imac ( ram: 12 gigs, cpu: 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache ). I'm wondering if there's anything I can do or check to solve this; I mostly want to play with old bsds, but it would be nice to be able to play Final Fantasy VII in windows too, if possible.

Thanks for your help!
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: sound stutters on win95 and win98

Post by SarahWalker »

What is the speed % displayed on the title bar? If this drops below 100% then sound will stutter, and you should reduce the speed of the CPU you're emulating. Given your host machine I can tell you that you have no chance of emulating a PMMX/233 at full speed.
rliegh

Post by rliegh »

TomWalker wrote:What is the speed % displayed on the title bar? If this drops below 100% then sound will stutter, and you should reduce the speed of the CPU you're emulating. Given your host machine I can tell you that you have no chance of emulating a PMMX/233 at full speed.
I took it down to a pentium 75 and it was still bouncing around 64%, so I'm gonna fore-go using win9x for now, and just focus instead on seeing what runs around 100%.

Thanks for your help and for the emulator!
Battler

Post by Battler »

I think the biggest problem is that PCem does everything in the same thread. So sound playing slows down the CPU code, etc.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

CPU emulation is well over 90% of host CPU run time in most cases. Probably a few percent will be lost to sound + video through timer callbacks, but the main issue is that the CPU emulation simply isn't very quick.