Misc questions

Support and general discussion.
resle

Misc questions

Post by resle »

Sorry if the post subject is not very helpful but I want to avoid posting several separate threads for such trivial questions..

- Full Screen: I can't find a way to launch PCem directly in full screen mode.

- Any way to directly quit, when in full screen mode?

- Command line and keyboard shortcuts: are they documented somewhere?

- Finally, a problem I am experiencing:
Host OS - Windows 10 Tech Preview
Virtual pc - AMI 386 clone, AMD DX40, 4mb Ram, Trident TVGA8900, Video speed 8-bit, Soundcard: SBPRO2
I created a new HDD leaving all parameters untouched. The BIOS recognized it (Autoconfig).
Successfully installed MsDOS 6.22 and the SBPRO2 drivers from floppy images.
Sometimes I got a black screen with constant low pitch PC Speaker beeps upon changing floppy disk. This required a hard reset.
First time I relaunched PCem, the HDD started to fail randomly:
Sometimes it's a HDD controller failure (press F1 to resume).
Sometimes it's a "NO ROM BASIC SYSTEM HALTED" message in 40x25 screen mode.
Any hint?

Thanks
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Misc questions

Post by SarahWalker »

resle wrote:- Full Screen: I can't find a way to launch PCem directly in full screen mode.
There isn't a way to do this.
- Any way to directly quit, when in full screen mode?
CTRL-ALT-PAGEDOWN. You should be getting a dialog box telling you this when you enter fullscreen mode.
- Command line and keyboard shortcuts: are they documented somewhere?
Other than CTRL-ALT-PAGEDOWN there aren't any.
- Finally, a problem I am experiencing:
Host OS - Windows 10 Tech Preview
Virtual pc - AMI 386 clone, AMD DX40, 4mb Ram, Trident TVGA8900, Video speed 8-bit, Soundcard: SBPRO2
I created a new HDD leaving all parameters untouched. The BIOS recognized it (Autoconfig).
Successfully installed MsDOS 6.22 and the SBPRO2 drivers from floppy images.
Sometimes I got a black screen with constant low pitch PC Speaker beeps upon changing floppy disk. This required a hard reset.
First time I relaunched PCem, the HDD started to fail randomly:
Sometimes it's a HDD controller failure (press F1 to resume).
Sometimes it's a "NO ROM BASIC SYSTEM HALTED" message in 40x25 screen mode.
Any hint?
When the HDD randomly fails, is this when launching the emulator or after a reset? There are some issues with the IDE emulation which can be seen after reset, which can be worked around by using two hard drives, but I haven't seen your particular issue. In any case, try creating a second drive and see if that helps.
resle

Re: Misc questions

Post by resle »

Thanks, will try the two drives.

As for "quit" I meant close the program, not go back to windowed. I knew the ctrl-alt-pgdown shortcut. Perhaps a ctrl-alt-something else to completely shut down the program would be useful.

Being able to start up in fullscreen would be also extremely useful.

For example, I currently have a windows user configured to replace the explorer shell with dosbox, and logout if the dosbox/shell process is terminated. The resulting experience is that I can, so to say, "log in" into a dos session.