Direct3D Bug: Display flickering frequently

Support and general discussion.
ppgrainbow

Direct3D Bug: Display flickering frequently

Post by ppgrainbow »

Does anyone have a problem running the latest revision of PCem v9 using the Direct3D video mode?

For me, I'm currently running the Award SiS 496/497 machine (486DX2 @ 66 MHz with 64 MB RAM, Number Nine FX graphics card with 2 MB VRAM) for example. Text mode and ironically, Windows 3.11 in 1024 x 768 16-bit colours work without problems.

In the Settings menu, I select Video > Direct3D. When I do that, running a program that uses graphics will flicker and go black very frequently. If I select Settings > Video > DirectDraw, the display does not flicker at all.

In the emulated IBM PS/1 model 2011 (80286 10MHz w/16 MB RAM [15,488 KB usable], integrated VGA card), the same issue happens.

When I switch the machine configuration when using the Direct3D video mode, the display literally gets squashed and messed up:
Display bug.png
Display bug.png (54.21 KiB) Viewed 3873 times
This issue doesn't happen in DirectDraw video mode.

Also, when using the debugger version of PCem, looking in the pc.log file, I found a bit of information what could be causing the display to flicker and mess up:
Bad AT keyboard controller command A8
Bad AT keyboard controller command BC
Bad AT keyboard controller command BB
Bad AT keyboard controller command D2
Bad AT keyboard command 80
ARPL_a16
Set multiple mode - 16
INT out of range
Double fault!
Triple fault!
The "INT out of range", "Double fault!", "Triple fault" error repeat in a infinite loop for a few seconds. That bug and the bad AT keyboard controller commands do not adversely affect the PC emulation at all.

I'm curious to ask here. Could this be a problem with the latest version of the drivers for my EVGA 8400GS 1GB DDR3 graphics card or a bug in the PCem emulation itself?