Adobe Type Manager 3.02 issues

Support and general discussion.
ppgrainbow

Adobe Type Manager 3.02 issues

Post by ppgrainbow »

I recently updated to Adobe Type Manager 3.02 on the Award SiS 496/497 machine (80486 DX2 66MHz, Number Nine FX w/2 MB VRAM) and for some reason, Windows 3.11 fails to boot and sends me back to the MS-DOS 6.22 prompt or it even causes PCem v9 r305 to exit unexpectedly!

This issue occurs even if I only have the HIMEM.SYS driver installed. Adobe Type Manager 3.01 does work with Windows 3.1x. Here's the BOOTLOG.TXT to see what could be the problem:
[boot]
LoadStart = atmsys.drv
LoadStart = system.drv
LoadSuccess = system.drv
LoadSuccess = atmsys.drv
LoadStart = keyboard.drv
LoadSuccess = keyboard.drv
LoadStart = mouse.drv
LoadSuccess = mouse.drv
LoadStart = S3TRIO.DRV
LoadSuccess = S3TRIO.DRV
LoadStart = mmsound.drv
LoadSuccess = mmsound.drv
LoadStart = comm.drv
LoadSuccess = comm.drv
LoadStart = vgasys.fon
LoadSuccess = vgasys.fon
LoadStart = vgaoem.fon
LoadSuccess = vgaoem.fon
LoadStart = GDI.EXE
LoadStart = FONTS.FON
LoadSuccess = FONTS.FON
LoadStart = vgafix.fon
LoadSuccess = vgafix.fon
LoadStart = OEMFONTS.FON
LoadSuccess = OEMFONTS.FON
LoadSuccess = GDI.EXE
LoadStart = USER.EXE
INIT=Keyboard
INITDONE=Keyboard
INIT=Mouse
STATUS=Mouse driver installed
INITDONE=Mouse
INIT=Display
LoadStart = atm32.dll
It would be obvious that Windows would either hang or exit upon loading the ATM32.DLL driver.

If you have Windows 3.1 installed, could you install Abode Type Manager 3.01 and then update to version 3.02 to see if this issue can be reproduced? ATM 3.02 is known to work successfully with Windows 3.1x under DOSBox, VMware, VirtualBox and Virtual PC.

Thank you. I'm gonna have to revert back to ATM 3.01 until this bug is fix0rd! :twisted:
Battler

Re: Adobe Type Manager 3.02 issues

Post by Battler »

Does pclog.txt say anythng? There might be a clue there as to what's the issue.
ppgrainbow

Re: Adobe Type Manager 3.02 issues

Post by ppgrainbow »

Battler wrote:Does pclog.txt say anythng? There might be a clue there as to what's the issue.
I did not use the Debug version of PCem when I attempted to run Windows 3.11 after updating ATM to version 3.02. It seems that the BOOTLOG.TXT wasn't much of a help.

Adobe Type Manager 3.01 can usually be found in some Adobe products that were designed for Windows 3.1 such as Photoshop 3.

I'll probably need to rerun the ATM 3.02 update and see what happens.

Update 1: I'm able to install ATM 3.01 and update to ATM 3.02 on the AMI WinBIOS 486 machine and it worked! Something has to do with the file corruption issue with the Award SiS 496/497 machine. I'll have to open up both hard disk images using ImDisk and run a file compare to see what could be wrong.

It turns out that ATM 3.02 causes Windows 3.1x to not boot at all with the S3 Trio drivers.

Update 2: Problem solved for now. I had to stick with the Generic SVGA drivers which limit the display resolution to 1024 x 768 @ 256 colours.