Issues with running MS-DOS software in Windows 3.1

Support and general discussion.
ppgrainbow

Issues with running MS-DOS software in Windows 3.1

Post by ppgrainbow »

In the Award SiS 496/497 486DX2 66MHz machine, when running Windows 3.11 using the 1024 x 768 8-bit colour generic SVGA drivers, some MS-DOS based software that uses the VESA graphics do not work correctly, if not at all.

For example, I tried running Tristan Pinball in 640 x 480 8-bit colour SVGA mode from a Windows 3.1 session and attempting to run it results in a dark gray screen and displaying nothing:
Gray screen.png
Gray screen.png (40.61 KiB) Viewed 3097 times
Selecting Ctrl-Alt-Delete from the file menu when in a non-responsive MS-DOS graphical mode session brings up a BSOD blue screen. However, the text display is garbled and not showing correctly:
BSOD text mode corruption.png
BSOD text mode corruption.png (48.76 KiB) Viewed 3097 times
Lastly, selecting Ctrl-Alt-Delete when not in a MS-DOS graphical mode brings the BSOD blue screen, but somehow the display ends up getting stretched:
BSOD text mode display stretch.png
BSOD text mode display stretch.png (80.79 KiB) Viewed 3097 times
I'm still on r305 and had switched again to the Trident TGUI9440 video adapter with 2 MB VRAM recently. Is there a way to fix this issue?

You might want to try running games from a Windows 3.1 MS-DOS prompt to see if they work correctly for you or not.

For me, until this issue is resolved in the next revision, I would personally avoid running any MS-DOS based software, such as games in a Windows 3.x session.
ppgrainbow

Re: Issues with running MS-DOS software in Windows 3.1

Post by ppgrainbow »

Okay, I booted from a floppy disk image and I found that Tristan Pinball runs fine. However, upon pressing Ctrl-Alt Delete, I STILL get BSOD corruption in MS-DOS mode. I'm gonna have to investigate the CONFIG.SYS file to see what could be causing Tristan Pinball to not load correctly and incase data corruption persistently occurs, I will have to back up the hard disk image.

Update:I also switched to the AMI WinBIOS 486 machine and still getting the same issue. In the AMI 486 BIOS using the Trident TVGA 8900D this is what I get:
BSOD text mode corruption.png
BSOD text mode corruption.png (66.28 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
I haven't tested the BSOD text mode corruption issues on other emulated machines, but if I get to them, I update.