[SOLVED] PCem v9 r310 + XTIDE = Crash!

Support and general discussion.
ppgrainbow

[SOLVED] PCem v9 r310 + XTIDE = Crash!

Post by ppgrainbow »

Tested machine: Commodore PC 30 III, 286 at 10 NHz, Tseng Labs ET4000AX w/1 MB display RAM

I found a possible bug in the XTIDE Universal BIOS ROM when used with PCem. I tested the addition of a second hard disk on the Commodore PC 30 III machine (Intel 80286 10 MHz, Tseng Labs ET4000AX w/1 MB VRAM) and the moment after the second hard disk is loaded and MS-DOS 6.22is started, PCem crashes! It doesn't seem to do that on real hardware as far as I know.

I tried to find what could be causing the crash in the pclog.txt, but it's hard to pin down. Here's the log:
pclog.txt
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
Have you tested the installation of more than one hard disk using certain machines that require the use of the XTIDE Univrersal BIOS ROM such as the IBM AT and Commodore PC 30 III machines? If so, please let me know. I sure hope that this issue gets addressed before a fix is applied.

Edit: Lesson learned. If you are going to use two or more IDE hard drives in XTIDE Universal BIOS for PCem, please don't use 2.0.0 beta 3! PCem will crash when it tries to detect the slave drive. Update to 2.0.0.3+ r567 (2014-05-28) instead. Thanks. :)
Last edited by ppgrainbow on Sat 22 Aug, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nerd73

Re: PCem v9 r310 + XTIDE = Crash!

Post by nerd73 »

ppgrainbow wrote:Tested machine: Commodore PC 30 III, 286 at 10 NHz, Tseng Labs ET4000AX w/1 MB display RAM

I found a possible bug in the XTIDE Universal BIOS ROM when used with PCem. I tested the addition of a second hard disk on the Commodore PC 30 III machine (Intel 80286 10 MHz, Tseng Labs ET4000AX w/1 MB VRAM) and the moment after the second hard disk is loaded and MS-DOS 6.22is started, PCem crashes! It doesn't seem to do that on real hardware as far as I know.

I tried to find what could be causing the crash in the pclog.txt, but it's hard to pin down. Here's the log:
pclog.txt
Have you tested the installation of more than one hard disk using certain machines that require the use of the XTIDE Univrersal BIOS ROM such as the IBM AT and Commodore PC 30 III machines? If so, please let me know. I sure hope that this issue gets addressed before a fix is applied.
I can confirm this as well on Compaq Deskpro 386.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

nerd73 wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:Tested machine: Commodore PC 30 III, 286 at 10 NHz, Tseng Labs ET4000AX w/1 MB display RAM

pclog.txt
I can confirm this as well on Compaq Deskpro 386.
It appears that you're on the same boat as I am. Earlier this morning, I made a patch to support up to 8 IDE hard drive and placing the CD-ROM in the secondary master slot in the Development forum. If we want to achieve support to allow up to 8 hard disks (under Bochs and XTIDE Universal BIOS), this bug that causes PCem to crash, needs to get addressed.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

What hard disc settings are you using?
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

TomWalker wrote:What hard disc settings are you using?
Looking at the pclog.txt file, I'm using the following configuration:
hdc_sectors = 63
hdc_heads = 16
hdc_cylinders = 4161
hdc_fn = D:\PCem\disks\cmdpc30\drv_80.img
hdd_sectors = 17
hdd_heads = 15
hdd_cylinders = 804
hdd_fn = D:\PCem\disks\dtk386\drv_81.img
Drive C has a hard disk capacity of 2 GB, Drive D has a hard disk capacity of 100 MB.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

What version of the XTIDE BIOS are you using?
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

TomWalker wrote:What version of the XTIDE BIOS are you using?
The current version of the XTIDE Universal BIOS is version 2.0.0 beta 3 (February 2013), the latest release.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Looks like beta 3 is broken. The slave drive isn't initialised properly. It looks like this was fixed a few days after the beta 3 release (see https://code.google.com/p/xtideuniversa ... n588&r=520), but no new builds have been made available since then. I'd suggest dropping back to beta 2 or earlier.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

TomWalker wrote:Looks like beta 3 is broken. The slave drive isn't initialised properly. It looks like this was fixed a few days after the beta 3 release (see https://code.google.com/p/xtideuniversa ... n588&r=520), but no new builds have been made available since then. I'd suggest dropping back to beta 2 or earlier.
Thank you very much for telling me. Downgrading to XTIDE v2.0.0 beta 2 worked. The sad part is that any issues with beta 3 will eventually never be addressed I'm afraid. :(

Update: I actually updated to v2.0.0 beta 3+ r567 (2014-05-28) found on this SVN page and MS-DOS can boot properly now! :)