[REQ] EAX emulation?

Support and general discussion.
vorob

[REQ] EAX emulation?

Post by vorob »

First of all, I would like to give my thanks to developers. A true magic is happening here, with true VooDoo emulation. Only wrappers can help on modern OS's but it's not completely true, without dithering :)

The second thing lost in old games on modern OS's is - EAX support. Is there any plan for its emulation?
leilei

Re: [REQ] EAX emulation?

Post by leilei »

The ES1371 card emulation covers this, sort of - many drivers for the SB PCI 128 have EAX support (in addition to some drivers supporting A3D). Haven't tried it with a discrete 4+ speaker setup though (haven't tried it on a real SBPCI either to be fair), but the binaural stuff works on A3D and the EAX FX stuff works.

Many games that do support EAX with the SBPCI sometimes complain about the lack of sound sources and stop right there. Some can be forced to work however (MDK2 and Sacrifice)

Better EAX emulation would need the Live emulated, and considering that's a Emu-based card (processing all MIDI and sound through the chip similar to an AWE64) and the current Emu8k emulation still being incomplete for the AWE32, I can't imagine this happening anytime soon. The current ES1371 emulation serves as a very nice stopgap solution for all those A3D/EAX cards/AC'97 chips in 98-99 anyway, and the fact it all works nicely in software has me appreciating Ensoniq even more.
vorob

Re: [REQ] EAX emulation?

Post by vorob »

Wow, wow! ES1371 is working! I've got EAX in Thief II. Though I've got only 75% of emulation speed...

Thank you very much. Exactly what i was looking for...