Tandy 1000 SL/2 Deskmate

Support and general discussion.
Uniracers

Tandy 1000 SL/2 Deskmate

Post by Uniracers »

I am trying to run Deskmate under the Tandy 1000 SL/2 configuration. From the DOS prompt, I change to the C drive, and then type "desk". This results in just a black screen. From what I remember, there are no disks required for basic Deskmate usage on the SL/2 because it is in ROM. Has anyone gotten this to work?
TonyM

Re: Tandy 1000 SL/2 Deskmate

Post by TonyM »

I’ve never had ay luck running Deskmate from ROM either but there are a couple of things you can try:

1) Locate the Tandy 1000 SL/2 setup.exe file (I think it is called SL2.EXE) and, after booting, run that and change the startup setting from DOS to Deskmate. That worked on my TL/3. Of course, if the emaulated BIOS is missing something that is needed it won’t work.

2) A much better option. download the Tandy 1000 SL/2 or TL/3 deskmate disks which can be easily had by a Google search for “Tandy Deskmate disks” and install that onto your emulated hard drive.

Even if you do get option 1 to work, the Deskmate that is built into ROM is just a basic GUI with no applications and just about any selection will prompt you to insert the deskmate disks anyway. I’ve never understood the point of Tandy putting the Deskmate interface in the ROM without the applications since it just wastes precious RAM when loaded and provides no real usability.
TonyM

Re: Tandy 1000 SL/2 Deskmate

Post by TonyM »

Can anyone tell me if the actual Tandy keyboard is emulated when one of the Tandy machines is selected? I ask because I've noticed that in Deskmate the cursor (arrow) keys don't work nor does the F11 and F12 which is indicative of an XT keyboard codes being sent. This might affect some Tandy-specific games as well.