Anyone can point me to the good direction? Trying to emulate a IBM PS/2 55SX

Support and general discussion.
viktormadarasz

Anyone can point me to the good direction? Trying to emulate a IBM PS/2 55SX

Post by viktormadarasz »

Hi

Anyone can point me to the good direction? Trying to emulate a IBM PS/2 55 SX but apart from booting into basic rom and booting with reference disk ( which sees no ESDI HDD tough i have a file created 81mb one) I cant seem to install IBM AIX 1.3 ( it keeps giving me NVRAM Update error)

i got reference disk and ROM images for this 55 SX

- also i have no dropdown to select any value on the tab where HDD and FDD can be set. -

I never used PCem and a PS/2 so any help comes handy

I saw one of the post suggesting to inject some ADF files into the reference disk ( downloaded the files) but i dont know how to go at it injecting and with what)

Thanks

Viktor
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Anyone can point me to the good direction? Trying to emulate a IBM PS/2 55SX

Post by SarahWalker »

You need to have the ROM files for IBM's ESDI adapter to allow it to be selected - 90x8969.bin and 90x8970.bin.

To inject the ADF files you need to use something like WinImage to open the reference disk image and replace the relevant files with the versions you've downloaded.

I haven't actually tried AIX so it's possible it doesn't work. I'll have a look at it when I get a chance.
viktormadarasz

Re: Anyone can point me to the good direction? Trying to emulate a IBM PS/2 55SX

Post by viktormadarasz »

SarahWalker wrote:You need to have the ROM files for IBM's ESDI adapter to allow it to be selected - 90x8969.bin and 90x8970.bin.

To inject the ADF files you need to use something like WinImage to open the reference disk image and replace the relevant files with the versions you've downloaded.

I haven't actually tried AIX so it's possible it doesn't work. I'll have a look at it when I get a chance.

Thanks Sarah

Any particular place i need to insert those ESDI Adapter rom files? ( i go try to find them)

IO check winimage if it opens those reference disk files

Thanks

// having a hard time finding 90x8969.bin and 90x8970.bin , If anyone mind to put me towards the good direction in a PM I d appreciate // -->>> found them , was not that easy
viktormadarasz

Post by viktormadarasz »

SarahWalker wrote:You need to have the ROM files for IBM's ESDI adapter to allow it to be selected - 90x8969.bin and 90x8970.bin.

tried IBM AIX 1.3 and I get kernel panic after changing boot disk 2 :

gladstone

Post by gladstone »

Hello,

I tried IBM PS/2 Model 80 with AIX 1.3 release.
It works with reference disk and to boot AIX (ESDI).
However when promted to insert install disk, loads it, then PCEM closes.

In pcem.log

Bad XFR command 0 channel 2 val f5