HD not found by attempted XENIX installation.

Support and general discussion.
BlondMammuth

HD not found by attempted XENIX installation.

Post by BlondMammuth »

Hallo All!

This is my first posting here, so I really want to start with my gratitude for this great piece of software - I find it generally amazing!

I am not sure really whether my question is in the right context here, whether this might be a bug, or (more probably) an error on my side. I am trying to install an early Xenix Version (present as 360 kb disk images) to what is given as the Commodore PC30 III model. CPU is given as 286/6, Memory 640kb, the HD I have added both as disk file and in the BIOS setup as model 9 (Sector 17 Heads 15 Cylinder 900, Size 112 MB), everything else is system default, I think - and yes, I have added a CD-Rom drive as "D" (not sure if this model can deal with it?).

In this procedure you insert the boot disk first, then after booting the root disk with the file system. From then on, it tells you that it will delete everything on the HD and install Xenix instead.

When I confirmed, the next thing that happened (several times, error is reproducible) was this:
2018-02-12_dev_rhd_not_found.png
2018-02-12_dev_rhd_not_found.png (32.98 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
(The digit "1" in the next line has no meaning, I have accidentally typed it before making the screenshot.)

Interesting that the disk is given with 899 cylinders, while in the setup the number is 900, but no idea whether that has any connection.

I add that I have compiled and installed PCem just yesterday (was not trivial but not too bad either, took me about one hour to install whatever was necessary) on a Lubuntu 17.10 System, which itself is running on a VirtualBox-VM, which again is hosted on a nearly identical Lubuntu 17.10 installation (HW is an intel i7 with 32GB main memory, so I do not believe that the problem comes from any lack of mem or speed).

RTFM is perfectly welcome provided you give me a hint which FM you are referring to! Otherwise, I am looking forward to any other hint or idea.

Thanks so much for now!
BlondMammuth

Re: HD not found by attempted XENIX installation.

Post by BlondMammuth »

I have made another observation, no idea whether it has got anything to do with it, but this is the command line output in this case:

Set fullspeed - 0 0 0
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
Menu item not found: 1403
Menu item not found: 1404
Menu item not found: 1403
Menu item not found: 1404
JosepMa

Re: HD not found by attempted XENIX installation.

Post by JosepMa »

The lines on your second post can be ignored.
Basically it says that it tried to connect to jack server ( a sound API on linux/ unix systems), and those menu item lines are just something about the UI that wasn't properly corrected before release (and still isn't, but it's not problematic).

As for your first post, I can't tell much since I don't know that system nor what to expect from its emulation. Said that, Sarah or someone else might have interest in helping you, or you could try digging a bit into the sources (adding logs or whatever) to get nearer to the problem.