[Request] Improve Hard Drives timings

Support and general discussion.
altheos

[Request] Improve Hard Drives timings

Post by altheos »

Hello,
I see recent improvement on cdrom and video cards timings and I think it could be interesting to see the same improvement for hard drives.
Cause even on slowest MFM drives (8 bit controller, access time near 100ms and throughput lower than 1 Mb/s), PCem format and access drive really fast. I remember my old type 2 being really slowwww.
Is it possible to add hard drive timing emulaton for future versions ?

Regards.
ecksemmess

Re: [Request] Improve Hard Drives timings

Post by ecksemmess »

This would be an excellent addition for sure.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

Is there a reason aside from just wanting things to load slower? The CDROM stuff was because there used to be 'CD drive speed detection' within installers for many games that bugged out. I'm not aware of such for hard-drives themselves.

The insta-loading is kinda amusing, no waiting 5-10 minutes for windows 95 to start lol.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

It's not just about accuracy/authenticity (though IMO that's reason enough to care about this). I definitely have run into various early-80s era software that throws unexpected behavior in PCem under certain circumstances which appears to be due to the lack of expected HDD access delays. Can't remember which specific programs at the moment, but it does happen here and there.