r328: OS/2 Warp 3 format error; CD access crashes PCem

Support and general discussion.
ppgrainbow

Re: r328: OS/2 Warp 3 format error; CD access crashes PCem

Post by ppgrainbow »

Battler wrote:- ppgrainbow: Just remove I=B000-B7FFF, it will cause your memory driver to not assign those drivers to UMB's.

However, I would appreciate it if the problem was fixed, because as I said, this behavior does not occur on real hardware, it only occurs inside PCem, so it's definitely a PCem bug.
That's what I've been thinking all along...a PCem bug. The I=B000-B7FF range has been removed.

I should start a new thread regarding DOS memory optimisation.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Battler wrote:- ppgrainbow: It's I=B000-B7FF that's at fault. For some reason, using that option in PCem makes DOS rather unstable and prone to all sorts of weird behaviors (CD-ROM drivers freezing, random EMM386 errors, etc.), that happen neither in, say, Virtual PC 2007, nor did they happen on real hardware - I always used that option on my Pentium 100 MHz to gain extra upper memory and never had any problems.
What version of DOS is this? Which BIOS? Is the recompiler enabled? Can you provide CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT?
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

TomWalker wrote:
Battler wrote:- ppgrainbow: It's I=B000-B7FF that's at fault. For some reason, using that option in PCem makes DOS rather unstable and prone to all sorts of weird behaviors (CD-ROM drivers freezing, random EMM386 errors, etc.), that happen neither in, say, Virtual PC 2007, nor did they happen on real hardware - I always used that option on my Pentium 100 MHz to gain extra upper memory and never had any problems.
What version of DOS is this? Which BIOS? Is the recompiler enabled? Can you provide CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT?
I'll provide to you two versions, the one of them off of the AMI 486 and the AMI WinBIOS 486 emulated machines.

First of all, the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT from the AMI 486 machine (80486 33MHz, Tseng Labs ET4000 graphics card w/1 MB VRAM, 16 MB memory):
ami486-config.zip
(838 Bytes) Downloaded 531 times
Next it's the, the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT from the AMI WinBIOS 486 machine (80486DX2 66MHz, Trident TVGA 8900D graphics card w/1 MB VRAM, 64 MB memory):
win486-config.zip
(822 Bytes) Downloaded 534 times
The dynamic re-compiler is neither enabled on the AMI 486 nor AMI WinBIOS 486 BIOSes.

The AMI 486 emulated machine is running MS-DOS 5.0 and the AMI WinBIOS 486 emulated machine is running MS-DOS 6.22. Battler believes that there could possibly be a bug with the PCem emulation, but I'm not 100% sure if it's correct or not. References to I=B000-B7FF have already been removed from CONFIG.SYS in both machines citing possible instability issues. Addresses B800-DFFF have already been excluded also. Only E000-EFFF address range is usable.
Battler

Post by Battler »

- TomWalker: I have tested MS-DOS 6.00, Windows 95's DOS, and even IBM PC DOS 7.x. The erratic behavior of anything loaded into UMB's at segments B000-B7FF does not change regardless of DOS version or emulated chipset. It happens as far up as Pentium MMX, and as far low as at least 486. Might even happen on the 386 too, I just haven't tried. And it also happens regardless of the graphics card. Whether I chose the VGA, the ET4000, or the Trio64, the problem remains.

Edit: And I remember having the problem already before there even was a dynamic recompiler and I was still using the 430VX with the WinChip. LBA 1 would freeze when reading from the CD-ROM if the CD-ROM driver was loaded into an UMB at B000-B7FF, but not if the the CD-ROM driver was loaded into an UMB at C800-EFFF. And I can assure you this does not happen on real hardware.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

ppgrainbow wrote: I should start a new thread regarding DOS memory optimisation.
Yes....

And this is why I want an EMS board so I don't have to deal with emm386... or any of it's friends. I've never liked that POS, and all the magical issues it brings into the world.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

neozeed wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote: I should start a new thread regarding DOS memory optimisation.
Yes....

And this is why I want an EMS board so I don't have to deal with emm386... or any of it's friends. I've never liked that POS, and all the magical issues it brings into the world.
Good idea. :D A separate thread on memory optimisation tricks has been created.

Other than that, time to get back to the OS/2 Warp 3 discussion.
amadama

Post by amadama »

Well I couldn't leave well enough at home and tried neozeed's advice on switching emulated motherboard and CPU.
Now with SIS 496/497 and Pentium o/d 83 the OS/2 Warp 3 install continues.
Looks like the built in NE2000 OS/2 driver isn't working right so may need an update. Almost there...
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

OK, so I installed Warp 3.0.

I'm using the Warp 3.0 Connect blue spine with the 'fixed' Disk1, which I see is for this version, which is why it was bombing on a file copy with the other Warp 3.0 blue spine (no connect) CD.

I'm using:
AMI 486 clone
Tseng ET 4000AX
Intel
Pentium OverDrive/83

A lot
Fast VLB/PCI
SoundBlaster AWE32
5.25" 1.2M
5.25" 1.2M
My hard disk is:
63 sectors
16 heads
1023 Cyliners

I.E. Something that could have actually existed back then.

When doing the config, it should select more or less like this:

No printer...

I set the AWE in the following:

And the default Tseng ET4000

Default monitor:

800x600x8bit

The built in Eagle NE2000 driver expects a memory space, which isn't emulated so those drivers don't load. The lsne2 aren't found by the installer, and the ns2000wc gives the following errors on boot:

Then it just hangs here:
You can hear the desktop build, the whooping noises and stuff, but this screen just stays in the way. :cry:
Last edited by neozeed on Fri 04 Sep, 2015 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

amadama wrote:Well I couldn't leave well enough at home and tried neozeed's advice on switching emulated motherboard and CPU.
Now with SIS 496/497 and Pentium o/d 83 the OS/2 Warp 3 install continues.
Looks like the built in NE2000 OS/2 driver isn't working right so may need an update. Almost there...
Yep, another major hassle I've had with OS/2 is network drivers..... I've had weird issues with VMware and QEMU and it's NE2000 emulation all depending on the OS/2 version.

It really is frustrating as hell.

And Windows NT/95 load up with zero issues...
amadama

Post by amadama »

That's pretty good, but what happened at the end there? I was able to make it to completion of install and it worked ok (minus the network of course). Unfortunately I changed the driver to use the S3 864 (emulating a Paradise Bahamas 64 (S3 864) card in PCEM). After rebooting I got the stretchy, distorted screen:

Luckily OS/2 version 3 allows you do Alt-F1 during boot and revert to VGA mode.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

neozeed: I see that you're slowly making some progress there. What sucks is that PCem doesn't even emulate the memory space resulting in the NE2000 drivers to not load, causing OS/2 Warp 3 to hang on attempting to copy files. Personally, I have had no issues installing OS/2 Warp 3 and Warp 4 in Virtual PC and VirtualBox.

amadama: I am gonna have to agree that the built in NE2000 OS/2 driver isn't working correctly. Something needs to be fixed to get it working properly with OS/2 Warp 3 and it's going to take a lot of work and fixes to get it working right.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

amadama wrote:That's pretty good, but what happened at the end there? I was able to make it to completion of install and it worked ok (minus the network of course). Unfortunately I changed the driver to use the S3 864 (emulating a Paradise Bahamas 64 (S3 864) card in PCEM). After rebooting I got the stretchy, distorted screen:

Uh oh! It looks like that the Paradise Bahamas 64 and S3 Trio compatible drivers aren't even working correctly with OS/2 Warp 3.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

amadama wrote:That's pretty good, but what happened at the end there? I was able to make it to completion of install and it worked ok (minus the network of course). Unfortunately I changed the driver to use the S3 864 (emulating a Paradise Bahamas 64 (S3 864) card in PCEM). After rebooting I got the stretchy, distorted screen:

Stick with the ET4000 .... lol OS/2 was always so catastrophically picky about cards.

I may have found a NIC to work the ne2000wc driver. Also apparently It is screwing up the CD-ROM part during the GUI install according to OS/2 museum.

I get this error when I try to do networking:
SYS1919: The file D:\CID\LCU\SRVREXX.EXE specified in the RUN statement on line
81 of CONFIG.SYS does not contain a valid program.
Line 81 is ignored.
Press Enter to continue..
And the fix is:
In the System Configuration panel, make sure the “Non-listed IDE CD-ROM” entry is selected. That ensures the IDE CD-ROM driver will be installed and the installation will not fail.
Good grief. I'm re-installing again... Formatting as HPFS, because, why not? :lol: :lol:

And there we go, it works!

Set it to NON-listed IDE CD-ROM
amadama

Post by amadama »

Awesome! Took your advice on the video card and now all is well. Network too using the drivers you pointed out.

neozeed

Post by neozeed »

amadama wrote:Awesome! Took your advice on the video card and now all is well. Network too using the drivers you pointed out.

Super awsome!
I need to fix my gopher server
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

neozeed wrote:

Stick with the ET4000 .... lol OS/2 was always so catastrophically picky about cards.

I may have found a NIC to work the ne2000wc driver. Also apparently It is screwing up the CD-ROM part during the GUI install according to OS/2 museum.

I get this error when I try to do networking:
SYS1919: The file D:\CID\LCU\SRVREXX.EXE specified in the RUN statement on line
81 of CONFIG.SYS does not contain a valid program.
Line 81 is ignored.
Press Enter to continue..
And the fix is:
In the System Configuration panel, make sure the “Non-listed IDE CD-ROM” entry is selected. That ensures the IDE CD-ROM driver will be installed and the installation will not fail.
Good grief. I'm re-installing again... Formatting as HPFS, because, why not? :lol: :lol:

And there we go, it works!

Set it to NON-listed IDE CD-ROM
Hallelujah! :D

Since OS/2 Warp 3 (including Red Spine/Blue Spine and Warp Connect versions) is not easy to install, I think that it would be wise for the PCem forums to include a new category...the Tutorial section on how to install OS/2 Warp 3 (or Warp 4) inside PCem!

By the way...has anyone tested Win-0S/2 support under Warp 3 yet? The last time I tried to install OS/2 Warp was that the emulated machine hanging when trying to click on the Clock icon.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

ppgrainbow wrote:Since OS/2 Warp 3 (including Red Spine/Blue Spine and Warp Connect versions) is not easy to install, I think that it would be wise for the PCem forums to include a new category...the Tutorial section on how to install OS/2 Warp 3 (or Warp 4) inside PCem!

By the way...has anyone tested Win-0S/2 support under Warp 3 yet? The last time I tried to install OS/2 Warp was that the emulated machine hanging when trying to click on the Clock icon.
Yes, tutorials would go a long way no doubt...

Also WinOS/2 works in seamless and fullscreen, *BUT* clock does lock up!

I've tried a 486SX2/50 and the Pentium OverDrive 83! Now that is weird! It's not a FPU thing then.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

neozeed wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:Since OS/2 Warp 3 (including Red Spine/Blue Spine and Warp Connect versions) is not easy to install, I think that it would be wise for the PCem forums to include a new category...the Tutorial section on how to install OS/2 Warp 3 (or Warp 4) inside PCem!

Yes, tutorials would go a long way no doubt...

Also WinOS/2 works in seamless and fullscreen, *BUT* clock does lock up!

I've tried a 486SX2/50 and the Pentium OverDrive 83! Now that is weird! It's not a FPU thing then.
True. It's not a FPU issue, but more like a bug in the PCem emulation. Win-OS/2 Clock does work fine in Qemu, Virtual PC, VMware, VirtualBox and on real PCs too.

As for the tutorials, we're gonna have to wait until we get a response from Tom.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

Okay, I attempted to install Internet Explorer 5 (16-bit) on Windows 3.11. After IE5 tries to copy the files, Windows crashes and QEMM throws an Exception 6 error:
QEMM Exception 6.png
QEMM Exception 6.png (47.86 KiB) Viewed 24282 times
Something is amiss here! It either has got to do with the QEMM386.SYS settings in the CONFIG.SYS or due to the erratic behaviour of anything being loaded to UMB address segment B000-B7FF. I personally believe that with QEMM386 or EMM#86 installed, this shouldn't happen on a real PC.

After rebooting the emulated PC, the Internet Explorer 5 browser doesn't display anything correctly. Windows NT 3.51 is on the same boat as Windows 3.1. I still have the backup copy of the hard disk image the installation of IE5 screws up Windows 3.1!

Have you tested the installation of IE5 (16-bit) on Windows 3.1 (not Windows for Workgroups 3.11) with either QEMM386 or EMM386 as the expanded memory manager? What can be corrected to try to fix the problem?
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

ppgrainbow wrote:Okay, I attempted to install Internet Explorer 5 (16-bit) on Windows 3.11. After IE5 tries to copy the files, Windows crashes and QEMM throws an Exception 6 error:
QEMM Exception 6.png
Something is amiss here! It either has got to do with the QEMM386.SYS settings in the CONFIG.SYS or due to the erratic behaviour of anything being loaded to UMB address segment B000-B7FF. I personally believe that with QEMM386 or EMM#86 installed, this shouldn't happen on a real PC.

After rebooting the emulated PC, the Internet Explorer 5 browser doesn't display anything correctly. Windows NT 3.51 is on the same boat as Windows 3.1. I still have the backup copy of the hard disk image the installation of IE5 screws up Windows 3.1!

Have you tested the installation of IE5 (16-bit) on Windows 3.1 (not Windows for Workgroups 3.11) with either QEMM386 or EMM386 as the expanded memory manager? What can be corrected to try to fix the problem?
Don't install quemm. or emm386 or anything else like it.

try to keep the configuration as PLAIN and SIMPLE as possible.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

Got my gopher working again... and it doesn't preserve the layout so well. yuck.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

neozeed wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:Okay, I attempted to install Internet Explorer 5 (16-bit) on Windows 3.11. After IE5 tries to copy the files, Windows crashes and QEMM throws an Exception 6 error:
QEMM Exception 6.png

Don't install quemm. or emm386 or anything else like it.

Thanks for telling me. I should have posted this in the Development section (Networking Discussion) Not here. I'm sorry that I didn't look correctly.

Sorry, but I'm starting to feel tired. I'm gonna try to keep the configuration as simple as possible and if the error persists, then I'm afraid that there is a bug.

I tried to install IE5 16-bit and got this error message that caused Windows to lock up:
Application Error

IE5SETUP caused a Page Fault in module DDEML.DLL at 0001:17BE.
Keeping the CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT configuration as plain as simple as possible was no help. This issue appears to only occur when I run the Norton Desktop as the shell instead of Program Manager. In the SYSTEM.INI file, I changed the line in the [Boot] section to read shell=progman.exe and it worked.

Tom, could you move the comments that I made in regards to Internet Explorer 5 16-bit to the Networking Discussion in the Development section of the forums? Thanks. :)
Last edited by ppgrainbow on Fri 04 Sep, 2015 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

neozeed wrote:Image

Got my gopher working again... and it doesn't preserve the layout so well. yuck.
Yikes! It looks like that the layout got trashed!
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

The attachment QEMM Exception 6.png is no longer available

Works here, EMM386 loaded, Windows 3.10 (according to winver). (on ami486 Pentium Overdrive 83, 64mb)
Bootscreen of Windows:
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg (134 KiB) Viewed 24272 times
IE5 Running:
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 24272 times
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

te_lanus wrote:
QEMM Exception 6.png

Works here, EMM386 loaded, Windows 3.10 (according to winver). (on ami486 Pentium Overdrive 83, 64mb)
Bootscreen of Windows:
Clipboard04.jpg
IE5 Running:
Clipboard02.jpg
Awesome! :D
Battler

Post by Battler »

neozeed wrote:Don't install quemm. or emm386 or anything else like it.

More like, the bug in PCem needs to be fixed. Again, I did I=B000-B7FF on real hardware all the time and never had these problems. Only in PCem does that cause problems.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

Battler wrote:
neozeed wrote:Don't install quemm. or emm386 or anything else like it.

More like, the bug in PCem needs to be fixed. Again, I did I=B000-B7FF on real hardware all the time and never had these problems. Only in PCem does that cause problems.
PCem's memory map isn't like your 'real pc' and this has nothing to do with WARP.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=303
amadama

Post by amadama »

Running the Windows Clock locks up the Windows subsystem in OS/2 2.1 also.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

amadama wrote:Running the Windows Clock locks up the Windows subsystem in OS/2 2.1 also.
That is so bizzare... i wonder if i have symbols for clock.exe

It never was a SDK sample from what i recall.

2.11 install much easier?
amadama

Post by amadama »

The 2.11 install was straightforward. I was very conservative in the setup (486 66Mhz, ET4000AX, SB16, 8MB ram, 500MB HD). Ram was bumped up to 32MB after install and running ok at 1024x768. Multimedia services works partially. It messes up the SB16 IRQ and DMA and those need to be changed. For some reason only digital audio outputs anything, MIDI doesn't work. I haven't really checked into why that is yet.
For the life of me I can't find the TCP/IP install disks anywhere. I thought I had the complete IBM software sets but I was wrong.