[BUG] 3D Lemmings: sound blaster fails to initialize

Support and general discussion.
Destineer

[BUG] 3D Lemmings: sound blaster fails to initialize

Post by Destineer »

PCem v14, Award 430VX PCI, Pentium 75, S3 ViRGE/DX, SB AWE32, MS-DOS 6.22

If "Sound Blaster" is selected in 3D Lemmings setup, either as the music or sound effects device, the corresponding driver will fail to initialize upon game launch. This occurs in the above system configuration, but also in any other configuration I attempted, including other models of sound blaster and various CPU speeds.

if AWE32 is selected as the music device, it appears to play correctly for the most part, except for what sounds like occasional dropped notes. It's been many years since I played it on real hardware, so I can't remember if that's normal. AWE32 for the sound effects device appears to initialize, but no sound effects are heard.

Also of note, I recall sound blaster init for this game being a problem in dosbox for a while as well. I went digging through the dosbox svn history to try to find a relevant commit, and found this: r3845. I can confirm that this game works correctly in dosbox now, at a wide range of CPU speeds, so hopefully this commit sheds some light on the cause.
SA1988

Re: [BUG] 3D Lemmings: sound blaster fails to initialize

Post by SA1988 »

Well, have you set the BLASTER variable correctly in autoexec.bat?
Destineer

Re: [BUG] 3D Lemmings: sound blaster fails to initialize

Post by Destineer »

Sorry, forgot to mention that. Yes, I performed the sound driver installation from the awe32 CD and the environment is configured. Other games that rely on the BLASTER env var recognize it and work correctly. This the only game I've tried so far that fails to init. Also tried reconfiguring the card to use a different IRQ since some games are picky about that, but the result is the same. My real card from years ago was on IRQ 5, and the dosbox card was set to IRQ 7, and both managed to init.