BasicLinux 3.5

Support and general discussion.
te_lanus

BasicLinux 3.5

Post by te_lanus »

Got it from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/ . Used the first img as is, and put the disk 2.tgz onto a floppy images. Tested it on bochs and it works (also working in VPC2007).

Tried running it on PCem, and it works up to where it ask for disk 2. Then you can see it loads from floppy and then it hangs.

System emulated:
Ami486 clone with pentium 84
Ram: 128mb
Video: Nine7 and 3S Virge
Soundcard: Soundblaster pro v2
ppgrainbow

Re: BasicLinux 3.5

Post by ppgrainbow »

te_lanus wrote:Got it from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/ . Used the first img as is, and put the disk 2.tgz onto a floppy images. Tested it on bochs and it works (also working in VPC2007).

Tried running it on PCem, and it works up to where it ask for disk 2. Then you can see it loads from floppy and then it hangs.

System emulated:
Ami486 clone with pentium 84
Ram: 128mb
Video: Nine7 and 3S Virge
Soundcard: Soundblaster pro v2
That doesn't sound right. If this issue is fixed, I'll probably try to run the hard disk image under Virtual PC 2007.

By the way, how did you get BasicLinux to work under Virtual PC 2007?
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

ppgrainbow wrote: By the way, how did you get BasicLinux to work under Virtual PC 2007?
I ran the floppy version. At the prompt, it was startx, 800x600 svga, ps2 mouse with 2 buttons. Started right up into JPS (or whatever shell it has) nothing funny is needed to get it working under vpc2007
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

te_lanus wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote: By the way, how did you get BasicLinux to work under Virtual PC 2007?
I ran the floppy version. At the prompt, it was startx, 800x600 svga, ps2 mouse with 2 buttons. Started right up into JPS (or whatever shell it has) nothing funny is needed to get it working under vpc2007
This is a issue that needs to be fixed under PCem. As PCem currently has no native PS/2 mouse, a serial mouse is used instead.

If the hang issue gets fixed, I will somehow need to find a way to get BasicLinux installed inside the hard disk image running PCem, before I get the change to run the PCem-based hard disk image under Virtual PC 2007. :)
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Rev 340 should fix this.
kazblox

Post by kazblox »

TomWalker wrote:Rev 340 should fix this.
Also to note: Grey Cat Linux (a fork of BasicLinux) keeps freezing after detecting the floppies drives for some reason. I tried a debug build of PCem, yet nothing strange showed up at all.

Was booting it from FreeDOS/JemmEx with dynarec, though MS-DOS also reproduces this bug too.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

kazblox wrote:
TomWalker wrote:Rev 340 should fix this.
Also to note: Grey Cat Linux (a fork of BasicLinux) keeps freezing after detecting the floppies drives for some reason. I tried a debug build of PCem, yet nothing strange showed up at all.

Was booting it from FreeDOS/JemmEx with dynarec, though MS-DOS also reproduces this bug too.
Obviously, I'm on the same boat as you are. Grey Cat Linux hangs when attempting to detect fd0 (1.44 MB) and fd1 (1.2 MB) drives.

I also tried to set up BasicLinux 3.5 on the AMI WinBIOS 486, but for some reason, the setup couldn't find the ext2 file system either when attempting to mount /dev/hda1. :(

By the way, has any one had any success trying to get the BasicLinux hard disk image to work under GRUB4DOS on Virtual PC, VMware Player/Workstation, VirtualBox, Qemu or Bochs? If so, how can it be done?

If it's done correctly, I'll be glad to add BasicLinux to the MENU.LST entry. :)
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

ppgrainbow wrote:
kazblox wrote: Also to note: Grey Cat Linux (a fork of BasicLinux) keeps freezing after detecting the floppies drives for some reason. I tried a debug build of PCem, yet nothing strange showed up at all.

Obviously, I'm on the same boat as you are. Grey Cat Linux hangs when attempting to detect fd0 (1.44 MB) and fd1 (1.2 MB) drives.

I also tried to set up BasicLinux 3.5 on the AMI WinBIOS 486, but for some reason, the setup couldn't find the ext2 file system either when attempting to mount /dev/hda1. :(
Grey Cat Linux seems to probe the floppies and then freeze, even with no floppies attached.

GCL comes up with:

Code: Select all

ide0 at 0x01f0-0x01f7,0x3f6 on irq14
 ide1 at 0x0170-0x0177,0x376 on irq15
Then hangs. BasicLinux also uses this, but works, so might be GCL specific.

BasicLinux* still work here on rev347, but does complain of

Int 10h (0x4F01) failed: 0x014 (function called failed

*floppy version
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

te_lanus wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:
kazblox wrote: Also to note: Grey Cat Linux (a fork of BasicLinux) keeps freezing after detecting the floppies drives for some reason. I tried a debug build of PCem, yet nothing strange showed up at all.

Grey Cat Linux seems to probe the floppies and then freeze, even with no floppies attached.

GCL comes up with:

ide0 at 0x01f0-0x01f7,0x3f6 on irq14
 ide1 at 0x0170-0x0177,0x376 on irq15
Then hangs. BasicLinux also uses this, but works, so might be GCL specific.

BasicLinux* still work here on rev347, but does complain of

Int 10h (0x4F01) failed: 0x014 (function called failed

*floppy version
The bug with Gray Cat Linux (GCL) needs to be fixed soon. I'm sure that Tom has not tested GCL at this time.
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

ppgrainbow wrote: The bug with Gray Cat Linux (GCL) needs to be fixed soon. I'm sure that Tom has not tested GCL at this time.
I doubt it'll be an easy fix, as GCL seems to use the same code as BasicLinux. BL works, GCL doesn't.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

te_lanus wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote: The bug with Gray Cat Linux (GCL) needs to be fixed soon. I'm sure that Tom has not tested GCL at this time.
I doubt it'll be an easy fix, as GCL seems to use the same code as BasicLinux. BL works, GCL doesn't.
Any idea what code could be missing that could be causing GCL to not work under PCem?
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

By the way, if you're running Graycat Linux, you'll notice that the serial mouse is acting really weird! It jumps around the emulated screen and always open the Window List...thus making navigation in GCL impossible! Is there anyway to fix this?:
GCL VGA.png
GCL VGA.png (46.26 KiB) Viewed 11833 times
Also, Graycat Linux is defaulted to standard VGA (640 x 480, 16 colours). Is there any way to make the screen larger?
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

I tried it, and yes Grey Cat Linux doesn't really play nice Mice
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

te_lanus wrote:I tried it, and yes Grey Cat Linux doesn't really play nice Mice
It looks like that there could be a bug with the mouse.

I installed GrayCat Linux (GCL) under Virtual PC 2007 and this is what I got instead:
GCL VPC 2007.png
GCL VPC 2007.png (19.13 KiB) Viewed 11794 times
(Thanks to Virtual PC 2007's cut and paste, I can post screenshots from the VPC 2007 emulated machine.)

For some reason, GCL under VPC 2007 can't seem to find a valid mode for the emulated S3 Trio graphics card that VPC 2007 uses.

Edit: I got ahead and selected the S3 Trio graphics card and 800 x 600 display resolution, but still, GCL couldn't even operate at all as it still couldn't find a valid mode to use.