[REQUEST] ATI Graphics Ultra Pro

Support and general discussion.
MiraiMiracle

[REQUEST] ATI Graphics Ultra Pro

Post by MiraiMiracle »

Hey!

I really know this emulator.

Can you please add the graphics card "ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (ATI Mach32)"?

Thank you. -Mirai
"You cannot escape my Persona!"
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: [REQUEST] ATI Graphics Ultra Pro

Post by SarahWalker »

I think I will ignore any thread that starts with [REQUEST] from now on...
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

It's a card from 1993. It shouldn't be too hard to add it, right?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

It's a non-trivial amount of work (mach32 is an ACCELERATED card, which is always fun), and it would be yet ANOTHER thing to add to my already extremely long backlog.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Sarah is currently working in rewriting the recompiler
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

And once Sarah has done that, Sarah has a list of things to add/work on that's longer than a really big fucking long list. So feature requests will largely be ignored for the foreseeable future.
leilei

Post by leilei »

...and if you really really really want something in v15, i'd suggest taking up programming. This is not meant as a typical "submit a patch" FOSS mantra, but at least gain a bit of perspective.

I want new stuff in PCem too, and i'm doing that by trial-and-error'ing whatever I want to do in a local tree branch and make clean patches when something's somewhat acceptable for inclusion. (and that's if I'm hacking stuff as I mostly have artistic duties to balance. These are all hobbies and hobbyists aren't obligated to fulfill requests, and I myself have a long list of characters and objects to model animate and texture)
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Seconding leilei. It's an incredibly inefficient use of valuable time to have Sarah (or anyone else who's very deep in the PCem codebase) attending to requests that actually don't require much special expertise to carry out. The ATI Graphics Ultra Pro request is maybe not the best example (I'm not sure what that would involve), but I've seen so many requests on here that anyone should be able to take care of themselves with little more than a passing familiarity with C. Honestly, the amount of time and level of difficulty involved in learning basic C isn't really too far beyond the time and difficulty required to set up and troubleshoot a handful of finicky emulated PCs as a PCem user!

We have a very few devs here who know the code well enough to tackle ambitious additions and improvements (I certainly don't count myself among them), so let's let them spend their time as productively as possible, eh? :)
tk421

Post by tk421 »

I think PCem is a great program. I am looking forward to seeing what v15 has in store for computer users, and I am patient.

I like using this website. I think it is well run and I am glad to be able to ask for help when I need it. I am confident in the devs and their professionalism has impressed me since day one of my time using this amazing software.
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

I think that v15 will only have bugfixes. I'm looking forward to seeing what new will v16 have.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

From what I understand, v15 is supposed to have a totally redone recompiler, which is hardly "bugfixes"! I'm not privy to any inside information about what will be in it, but I have a feeling a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

As far as I know revision builds of v14 is expected to *only* have bugfixes (if any), but no new features and v15 is expected to have a redone dynamic recompiler.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Maybe you'll see some new features come in on the announcement of the v15 feature freeze ;)

DISCLOSURE: I HAVE NO INSIDE INFORMATION ON WHAT SARAH IS DOING!!! ONLY INSIDE INFORMATION ON WHAT I AM DOING. ALSO AGAIN HOBBIES
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

v15: super mega secret voodoo6 pcem announcement

PS: Damn, I have passed 50 posts already.