Can I remap keys under PCem?

Support and general discussion.
BigAlUK

Can I remap keys under PCem?

Post by BigAlUK »

This is a sidetrack for me on something else I was doing, so I was hoping for just a very quick pointer in the right direction.

I was using EDLIN under DOS 1.1 (yeh, I know!) and reading the manual as I went along (because it's been such a long time, man! You wouldn't know if you weren't there, man! I still can't sleep nights.)

The manual told me to use the FUNCTION KEYS (F5, F6 etc) to drive EDLIN.

Except I can't because that doesn't work.

Is there any facility for remapping the keys on a modern keyboard for use inside the PCem emulation? I have some doubts that I could solve the problem in the "usual" way by using a key-mapping inside the DOS - because this is DOS 1.X here.

p.s. Identical issue on PCE (quelle surprise).
Last edited by BigAlUK on Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigAlUK

Re: Can I remap keys under PCem?

Post by BigAlUK »

Ah - it turns out someone had doctored the PDF of the MS-DOS manual I was reading to show function keys assigned to the Edlin key roles. My function keys are working - its just that they aren't related to what whomever doctored the manual was using. Hence complete confusion.

I switched from using that MS-DOS "1" manual to the PC DOS 1.0 manual and suddenly it's all nice and simple. So that was a good move :)

I'd still be interested to know if it would be possible to have a relatively trivial key-remapper for PCem - something that would let you move the keystrokes of a UK keyboard to those of a US keyboard (or whatever) - associated with the config, not the app-wide settings. A kind of override capability that allows you to just redirect a few particularly irksome keys would be really cool.
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

I remap all kinds of keys with GlovePIE
BigAlUK

Post by BigAlUK »

tr.StEalTH wrote: Fri 28 Sep, 2018 7:30 pm I remap all kinds of keys with GlovePIE
Thanks - but that kind of remapping looks at first glance to be a sledgehammer approach - I don't want to remap keys for the whole host. If I were to do that, I'd chuck together my own dedicated remapping wrapper to PCE and PCem using Delphi (an interim solution that's still on the cards) so that other hosted code is not affected. Gameplay on these emulators isn't really my thing anyway. I'm more of a computer history buff (it's a retirement thing - like playing chess, or stamp collecting).