MS-DOS 1.25 and 2.0 open sourced

Support and general discussion.
JosepMa

MS-DOS 1.25 and 2.0 open sourced

Post by JosepMa »

Hello.
I've just read that Microsoft has published the sources and binaries for MS-DOS versions 1.25 and 2.0.
https://github.com/Microsoft/MS-DOS/

It looks like they had published them already some years ago, but opted to publish them again on github for a greater exposure and reference.

While they are open-source, that doesn't mean they aren't copyrighted, but I believe it could be trivial to implement a script to obtain the files from github and generate several floppies in order to make it easy to use them on PCem with the oldest emulated machines.

What do you think?
iwasaperson

Re: MS-DOS 1.25 and 2.0 open sourced

Post by iwasaperson »

https://github.com/Microsoft/MS-DOS/blo ... LICENSE.md

It's licensed under MIT, which means that you can redistribute source and/or binaries free of charge along-side your own project, source included.
mal.sh

Post by mal.sh »

JosepMa wrote: Mon 01 Oct, 2018 5:31 pm Hello.
I've just read that Microsoft has published the sources and binaries for MS-DOS versions 1.25 and 2.0.
https://github.com/Microsoft/MS-DOS/

It looks like they had published them already some years ago, but opted to publish them again on github for a greater exposure and reference.

While they are open-source, that doesn't mean they aren't copyrighted, but I believe it could be trivial to implement a script to obtain the files from github and generate several floppies in order to make it easy to use them on PCem with the oldest emulated machines.

What do you think?
MS-DOS 1.15 (= PC-DOS 1.10) doesn't work properly on PCem, because it has some differences in a floppy-drive emulation and a real floopy-drive.

Look here: PC-DOS 1.10 and PCem v12
skitt

Post by skitt »

JosepMa wrote: Mon 01 Oct, 2018 5:31 pm While they are open-source, that doesn't mean they aren't copyrighted, but I believe it could be trivial to implement a script to obtain the files from github and generate several floppies in order to make it easy to use them on PCem with the oldest emulated machines.

What do you think?
Unfortunately the source and binaries provided don’t form a complete DOS; in particular, IO.SYS is missing... See this post on OS/2 Museum for details.
JohnElliott

Post by JohnElliott »

Off-topic, but for me the main interest in this release is that it's from the era when MS-DOS wasn't tied to the PC architecture. So it would be interesting to see IO.SYSes for platforms like the BBC Master 512, or an entirely barebones emulator with only teletype input/output. Still, my to-do list is long enough already without getting into that.