PCem and New Intel Laptop CPUs

Support and general discussion.
tk421

PCem and New Intel Laptop CPUs

Post by tk421 »

Good day,

As laptop CPU technology improves, we now have viable 6 core laptops on the market. AMD has even released an 8 core Ryzen laptop, which typically has a boost CPU clock speeed of 3.7 Ghz.

I find myself hesitant to buy any PC with a CPU speed less than 4 Ghz. Some new laptops, like the HP Omen with the Intel i7 8750H (up to 4.1 Ghz), boast a 4 Ghz CPU speed. I never saw the Omen reach 4.1 Ghz. There are Dell, ASUS and Acer laptops with the i7 8750H CPU that advertise a CPU speed of 3.9 Ghz, even though the i7 8750H is supposed to reach a stated CPU speed of 4.1 Ghz. Some vendors I have spoken with have told me that the 8750H can reach 4.2 Ghz under load.

May I ask if the i7 8750H laptop CPU could allow PCem to run at best performance?

Thank you for your time,

tk421
JosepMa

Re: PCem and New Intel Laptop CPUs

Post by JosepMa »

Other than "That's on the top end of the current performance for computers", what kind of answer do you expect? (servers aside, where there are even 16core 32thread processors)

Myself I am running on a i7 6700 3.4Ghz (4cores 8 threads) and can emulate Pentium MMX 200, AWE32 and voodoo 2 (I actually use MMX 166 to avoid some peak cases) with OpenGL render driver (and the opengl 3 on some guest configurations to use shaders).
Of course, it also helps that I have a good Nvidia graphics card, but that's only useful for the renderer.
leilei

Re: PCem and New Intel Laptop CPUs

Post by leilei »

Also remember - booting Windows 9x will make the current recompiler (and interpreter!) struggle. always. there's no computer that can, so don't judge cpus from that

instead, run Quake in DOS as that won't upset the recompiler. For me drop under 100% for that, I have to make fictional 333+mhz Pentium testing CPUs. While Quake doesn't represent everything, it's still a good stable yardstick.