PCem is still open (background process)

Support and general discussion.
seth

PCem is still open (background process)

Post by seth »

When I open pcem with a batchfile (like "start /b PCem.exe --config ".\DOS.cfg") and close DOS 6.22 with X (not shutdown), pcem is still open in the taskmanager (background process). Is it possible, to fix this problem?
JosepMa

Re: PCem is still open (background process)

Post by JosepMa »

If you want it to run it from the same process of the window where you lauch it, use "call" instead of "start" (or even simply pcem, without any extra command before).

Edit: Ok, forget about that comment. It still does not do what you want, but I'm not sure if you really have an option. The same happens even if I use notepad.exe in place of pcem. So i'm not sure that the console on Windows will do what you want.
seth

Post by seth »

Thanks for your answer JosepMa.
The same happens even if I use notepad.exe in place of pcem.
It's still open as background process? Are you sure? I never have had this problem and I start a lot of programs via batchfile. That's the reason why I reported this problem in the frist place.
shermanp

Post by shermanp »

It doesn't appear to be a problem for me. Running Windows 10 1809.

Running PCem with the following command or batch file exits PCem, and it no longer appears in the task manager when I close with the X button on the window. Have tested with both release V14, and a current development build.

Code: Select all

start /b PCem.exe --config ".\configs\DOS-SB16.cfg"
seth

Post by seth »

Windows 10 1803, V14 and it doesn't work for me. https://picload.org/view/dclpolci/sdd.jpg.html My friend has the same problem but with windows 7. When I close the programm with system -> shutdown, it doesn't show the process in the task manager. Strange.
JosepMa

Post by JosepMa »

My bad.. I misunderstood you.
I thought you mean you closed the command console, not PCem.

I tried it again and closing PCem ends the pcem process for me. I am using a self compiled version.

I just tried as well with the Official v14 and what I immediately see is that my build makes the script wait until I close PCem, while the official one does not.
Said that, it also closes the pcem process.
leilei

Post by leilei »

The only incidents i've seen it 'stay open' is when closing off a 256mb machine and quitting really fast probably during dump. This has bit me a couple times between rapid compile+test+change+compile cycles during development.
seth

Post by seth »

Probably this doesn't help, but here is a video about this: https://streamable.com/0p6j9