Wordbasic overflow error 6 with DX processor

Support and general discussion.
bitwish

Wordbasic overflow error 6 with DX processor

Post by bitwish »

I am having this error in Word 6.0. It only happens with DX processors. SX processors works OK.

The problem occurs when having to use the Word Wizard to create a calendar, for example.

Already tested on Virtualbox and it worked OK.
Attachments
pcem2.jpg
pcem2.jpg (96.08 KiB) Viewed 7997 times
pcem1.jpg
pcem1.jpg (79.58 KiB) Viewed 7997 times
gen_angry

Re: Wordbasic overflow error 6 with DX processor

Post by gen_angry »

Virtualbox is virtual machine software, PCem is an emulator - they aren't really the same thing at all.

Does this happen with real 486DX hardware? It's odd that it only happens with 486DX CPUs. This sort of thing leads me to believe that it's an actual bug with them or the recompiler (which is slated for a rewrite with v15 anyways).
Zup

Post by Zup »

gen_angry wrote: Tue 22 Jan, 2019 10:07 pm Virtualbox is virtual machine software, PCem is an emulator - they aren't really the same thing at all.

Does this happen with real 486DX hardware? It's odd that it only happens with 486DX CPUs. This sort of thing leads me to believe that it's an actual bug with them or the recompiler (which is slated for a rewrite with v15 anyways).
I remember SarahWalker said that the emulated FPU was not as precise as a real FPU (that lead to some IBM BIOS complaining about it). Maybe is it the same thing?
shermanp

Post by shermanp »

I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe that PCem doesn't accurately emulate the full 80-bit precision of the floating point co-processor. Word is probably sensitive enough to detect the inaccuracy, or it's doing something to make the PCem FPU emulation trip up. As, I said, I'm no expert, just relaying what I remember reading around here.

The 486SX is not affected, as it has no FPU to emulate...
altheos

Post by altheos »

Hello,

here is Sarah's reply about 80-Bit FPU : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3049.
It could also possibly be a FPU bug.
bitwish

Post by bitwish »

gen_angry wrote: Tue 22 Jan, 2019 10:07 pm Virtualbox is virtual machine software, PCem is an emulator - they aren't really the same thing at all.

I know it's different things. I just quoted to say that I tested the software elsewhere and it worked.

I don't have a 486 DX to do the test, but at the time I wore it 25 years ago this problem never happened.