PCem Won’t Boot Windows

Support and general discussion.
IMeganElisabeth

PCem Won’t Boot Windows

Post by IMeganElisabeth »

I’m wanting to use PCem on my Windows 10 PC to emulate Windows 98 SE. However, no matter what I do I cannot get Windows 98 SE to boot. I tried retail version of Windows 98 as well as another Windows 98 ISO. I also tried booting from PloP boot manager floppy disc and when then selecting disc it simply closes PCem after trying each ISO again as well. I consistently get "Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter". I would so very greatly appreciate any help!
szadycbr

Re: PCem Won’t Boot Windows

Post by szadycbr »

Hi IMeganElisabeth, you must enter bios setup and set up boot from CD if you have bootable cd, if from floppy then you must set boot from floppy in bios. i assume you use 430vx board, so all that is in bios options, press Delete key to get in, it says so during memory test on 430vx.
IMeganElisabeth

szadycbr wrote: Thu 21 Feb, 2019 11:54 am Hi IMeganElisabeth, you must enter bios setup and set up boot from CD if you have bootable cd, if from floppy then you must set boot from floppy in bios. i assume you use 430vx board, so all that is in bios options, press Delete key to get in, it says so during memory test on 430vx.
Thank you so very very very much for your response! I didn’t recall doing this awhile back when setting up but I must have just forgotten. Within BIOS where are these settings located? I thought I had everything that looked like it should set to enabled but had to have missed it hopefully!
leilei

Post by leilei »

It's in "BIOS FEATURES SETUP"

Go to the boot sequence and keep hitting PGDN until you read CDROM,C,A

If you have an OEM Win98se CD, it'll boot now. However make sure you partition your drive with FDISK first if you haven't already. Yes, 1, 1, 1 yes etc. Reboot and then repeat the same boot into DOS off the disc and then format the drive with a quick format C:. Then you can reboot one more time to initialize Windows setup (or cd your way over to the win98 directory and execute setup.exe)
IMeganElisabeth

leilei wrote: Thu 21 Feb, 2019 2:07 pm It's in "BIOS FEATURES SETUP"

Go to the boot sequence and keep hitting PGDN until you read CDROM,C,A

If you have an OEM Win98se CD, it'll boot now. However make sure you partition your drive with FDISK first if you haven't already. Yes, 1, 1, 1 yes etc. Reboot and then repeat the same boot into DOS off the disc and then format the drive with a quick format C:. Then you can reboot one more time to initialize Windows setup (or cd your way over to the win98 directory and execute setup.exe)

I have .img HDD I’m wanting to attach under HDD if I’m able to that I used on a 98 system in PCem before. I really have completely forgotten a lot of the setup obviously so I really greatly appreciate your help. So if using the HDD I don’t need to do FDISK right? If so if the HDD isn’t successful for some reason I must only get the Fdisk option after inserting the Windows 98 OEM cd right? Just upon starting the system I’m not given the option. I appreciate your help so so so very much!
leilei

Post by leilei »

Maybe changing the LBA setting in the BIOS would also help booting.
IMeganElisabeth

I think I recall seeing that somewhere in BIOS. What would you change with LBA?
IMeganElisabeth

leilei wrote: Fri 22 Feb, 2019 4:12 am Maybe changing the LBA setting in the BIOS would also help booting.
I think I recall seeing that somewhere in BIOS. What would you change with LBA?

I’m hoping my HDD is still okay... at first when booting up my 98 system in PCem for the first time in an extremely long time I got,
Verifying DMI Pool Data . . . . . . .
Error loading operating system. Setup cannot continue.
So I tried to select my HDD image as a new HDD and now don’t get that anymore just get the message I’ve posted here. So would you say it’s still going to be able to make use of my HDD? I’ve tried an entirely new system now with that HDD image. If it were working properly though wouldn’t it just boot from the HDD image where I have windows installed and not be asking me to start from scratch being unable to boot disk as if I’m setting up windows for the first time?