Another No Roms Present thread

Support and general discussion.
abk4523

Another No Roms Present thread

Post by abk4523 »

I installed PCem version 15 onFedora 29 with a couple of problems but managed to get it somewhat working. I downloaded the generic (genxt) rom form the download page and copied it to the /roms/genxt folder. When I run PCem, I get a "no roms present" error. I found this thread: http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2905 and copied the file to the /roms/pxxt folder (there is no /roms/genxt/pxxt folder referenced in the thread) but I cannot get PCem to run. Is there something I overlooked?
leilei

Re: Another No Roms Present thread

Post by leilei »

Make sure the rom filenames are lower-cased.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

leilei is right, but you also said your rom is in "/roms/genxt" ? in windows it will be in PCem folder but in linux there is folder in Your HOME directory created automatically after PCem starts, it is hidden folder called .pcem , so from your perspective it should be in /home/(username)/.pcem .
abk4523

Post by abk4523 »

I think I have been using Nautilus too much lately. When I try to copy I get :cp -r /Documents/PCemV11Win/roms *.* home/bobkeane/.pcem/roms
cp: target 'home/bobkeane/.pcem/roms' is not a directory. What is the proper format for the copy command?

EDIT: Never mind I found it. Thanks. Looks like the hidden file was the problem. Any idea why it was hidden?
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

i think every file in home dir with any user settings is hidden with the dot at front in linux, just to make clear interfece for end user, most of users have no need to alter them. except installing PCem only b cause Roms are not free due to most stupid law i ever seen, and are not installed automatically, some of the licenses will expire in 90 years!!!
so yeah , imagine secretely guarded source code of most advance bios system from 80-ties , so much worth as a company secret in 2020-2070 ? :)

edit: ps. the law to prptect intelectual property is very necessary , but ones who used it to protect their work didnt realize that fruits of their work gonna be useless and worthless pretty soon.