Linux Users: Any good roms out there?

Support and general discussion.
abk4523

Linux Users: Any good roms out there?

Post by abk4523 »

I've been trying to configure PCem v15 on Fedora 30 and running into some issues. I keep getting stuttering sound when installing Windows 98 SE. I have tried several roms but have not found any satisfactory. Has anyone found a rom with good sound quality? Or is this an issue unique to Linux?
leilei

Re: Linux Users: Any good roms out there?

Post by leilei »

The stuttering has nothing to do with roms. Check your sound buffer length and execution percentage (it'll stutter when dropping below 100%). Emulating a PMMX233 would call for a 4GHz desktop i5 for example
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

Please avoid trying to ask for ROMs on this site. Like leilei said, check your sound buffer length and CPU execution percentage as it will start dropping below 100%. On faster emulated processors, the CPU execution percentage will drop requiring a faster PC.

On a AMD FX-4300 for example, I will be lucky to emulated a PC with a 66MHz 486DX2 or even a 75 MHZ Pentium with the dynamic recompile enabled. With only the interpreter, I can only emulate a processor at single clock speed...this means a processor no faster than a 50 MHz 486.
abk4523

Post by abk4523 »

Perhaps I worded my inquiry improperly, sorry. I was wondering if anyone else had any success. As to the roms affecting the sound, I found one or two threads suggesting trying different roms. I have an asus x401u laptop with an AMD® Brazos 2.0 Platform Processor. I notice the cpu execution is usually high on install but drops when finished. Is this because pcem does not work well with the my processor? And as to the buffers, would a lower setting or higher setting improve performance?
jznomoney

Post by jznomoney »

most likely it's your laptop. pcem requires a fast processor for best performance. I have a ryzen 2700x and the best I can get is maybe a 200mhz pentium. You are either running a 1.2 or 1.7ghz processor from 2012.
RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Use v14. v15 has sound glitches for me on Linux, where v14 doesn't.
abk4523

Post by abk4523 »

Sounds good. Thanks.