Jungle Strike from "Desert Strike and Jungle Strike" doesn't work

Support and general discussion.
DSN

Jungle Strike from "Desert Strike and Jungle Strike" doesn't work

Post by DSN »

Hi,
I am having trouble getting Jungle Strike from "Desert Strike and Jungle Strike" to work.
When I select Large video from the install program (JUNGINST.EXE) and try to run the game (JUNGLE.EXE), my system freezes and gets stuck in this DOS4GW screen:
frozenscreen.png
frozenscreen.png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
The install program says that is recommended a Pentium processor for large videos, so here is my config:
SiS 496/497 Pentium Overdrive 83Mhz 24MB RAM
Trio64 1MB Fast VLB/PCI
SoundBlaster 16
DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 (I am running from pure DOS)

I also tried selecting Normal video from the install program and I get this error when I open for the first time:
error.png
error.png (8.38 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
And when I open for the 2nd time, my system gets stuck and freezes with this black screen:
blackscreen.png
blackscreen.png (52.4 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
I have activated EMM386 since it needs a EMS driver otherwise it asks. Can someone test this game and tell me the results?
PM me if someone can help me.
Cheez

Re: Jungle Strike from "Desert Strike and Jungle Strike" doesn't work

Post by Cheez »

I think the divide overflow thing is usually caused by running a game on a cpu that's too fast. I think there's a patch out there, but a simpler solution is just to try a different cpu and see if that fixes it. I don't know why it would be doing it on the pentium overdrive, since that's nowhere near the speed that would cause that issue, but I've never dealt with those either.
DSN

Post by DSN »

I tried with 486DX2/66 and problem persists. 1st time shows the divide overflow error, 2nd time hangs with a black screen.

EDIT: I now tried without dynamic recompiler and works! Thanks! Maybe a recompiler bug?
DSN

Post by DSN »

Not good, I deleted and reinstalled the game but this time I choose normal videos in the install program.
Now the system hangs at the first video sequence, see below:
hang.png
hang.png (59.1 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
486/66 without dynamic recompiler. Any ideas?

Edit: I deleted and reinstalled again but this time I choose small videos in the installation program and the videos play perfectly without hanging. Thanks!
Edit2: Divide Overflow error also occurs in Desert Strike with dynamic recompiler on.