Old Mac OSs on PCEM?

Support and general discussion.
CryptidWorks

Old Mac OSs on PCEM?

Post by CryptidWorks »

So this is something I've not been able to dig up much on with Google.

Would it theory work setting up an old MacOS (ie: OS 9 or older) machine within PCEM or do those have specialized hardware PCEM doesn't emulate?
leilei

Re: Old Mac OSs on PCEM?

Post by leilei »

completely different architecture, CPUs, etc. PCem likely won't ever emulate the PowerPCs or Motorolas involved, nor the x86 CPUs involved with the later Macs.

divingkatae is working on a PCem-inspired PPC Mac emulator though, motivated by frustrations of sheepshaver/PearPC stagnancy and how there's never focus on emulating the Rage GPUs (G3 iMacs had Rage Pros and Rage128s)
https://github.com/dingusdev/dingusppc
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

leilei wrote: Sun 01 Mar, 2020 1:45 am completely different architecture, CPUs, etc. PCem likely won't ever emulate the PowerPCs or Motorolas involved, nor the x86 CPUs involved with the later Macs.

divingkatae is working on a PCem-inspired PPC Mac emulator though, motivated by frustrations of sheepshaver/PearPC stagnancy and how there's never focus on emulating the Rage GPUs (G3 iMacs had Rage Pros and Rage128s)
I knew old Macs were PowerPC based but I didn't know if the the OS itself would work on x86 CPUs or not.

I don't know anything about compiling source code into programs so that GitHub totally lost on me until there's an actual release, sadly.
Zup

Post by Zup »

AFAIK, MacOS 9 runs on Power PC CPUs and earlier releases on 68000 series. Nothing related to 80x86 CPUs/architecture (except some Macintosh that had a PDS card, like Power Macintosh 6100... but still far away from PCs).

The only Macintosh that resembles PC architecture are modern ones, and that CPUs are currently not emulated on PCem.
JohnElliott

Post by JohnElliott »

Unless someone finds a copy of MacOS "Star Trek" (the x86 port of classic MacOS)... no.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

leilei wrote: Sun 01 Mar, 2020 1:45 am divingkatae is working on a PCem-inspired PPC Mac emulator though, motivated by frustrations of sheepshaver/PearPC stagnancy and how there's never focus on emulating the Rage GPUs (G3 iMacs had Rage Pros and Rage128s)
Wow, finally! Been waiting for a project like this to pop up for years, this is exciting news :)

Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but do you happen to know if anyone has been taking any worthwhile steps forward lately with emulating pre-PPC Macs? Last I checked (a few years back), there weren't any projects going that could properly and fully emulate the Quadras etc. (or that even really aspired to, tbh). Hopefully that's changed since then but I can't find anything promising at first glance?
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

ecksemmess wrote: Tue 10 Mar, 2020 7:17 amSorry to go a bit off-topic, but do you happen to know if anyone has been taking any worthwhile steps forward lately with emulating pre-PPC Macs? Last I checked (a few years back), there weren't any projects going that could properly and fully emulate the Quadras etc. (or that even really aspired to, tbh). Hopefully that's changed since then but I can't find anything promising at first glance?
If I remember correctly MAME did emulate most of the pre-ppc macs, but haven't tried them in ages. There is also Basilisk II
abk4523

Post by abk4523 »

Does this help?

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php