Audio Latency

Support and general discussion.
t9999clint

Audio Latency

Post by t9999clint »

So far V10 is excellent! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

There are a couple of issues that I have with this emulator, but the one I find most annoying is the Sound Latency, I don't know if this is a common problem or not as I can't find another thread on it. (I'm kind of bad at finding threads though to be honest).

When emulating either a SB16 or a AWE32 (mostly the same code afaik) there is quite a bit of audio latency where it takes more than a second sometimes for the sound effect to be played. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this normal? I haven't tested any other soundcards yet. It does seem to affect more than one type of chipset and it happens rather Dynamic Recompiling is on or off. I've only tested with WINBIOS 486 and Award 430VX PCI.

My other two complaints are well documented already and I know you guys will get to them when you can. (Lack of proper AWE32 DSP emulation and lack of Command Line Options for loading different .cfg files.)

Overall I am very impressed with all of your work. This emulator behaves very close to the real dos hardware that I have collected over the years. The compatibility, while not perfect, is leagues higher than DOS-BOX. After setting it up to work with MUNT, my old LucasArts games run and sound AMAZING!! (Kind of makes me want to by a real Roland Synth)
Battler

Re: Audio Latency

Post by Battler »

Yeah, sound is not smooth and lags when the emulated machine goes below 100%. This is deliberate.
t9999clint

Post by t9999clint »

I don't think it's going under %100 though. If it ever does it's only for a fraction of a second, and it goes higher than 100% just as often. Should I try to emulate something easier like a 66mhz?

edit: I tried 50mhz, it still is there but it's not as noticeable. Only about 1/4 a sec in Starwars Dark Forces, but it is still about 1sec in Tyrian2k. There's also a bunch of other sound issues in Tyrian, like the explosion sounds being waaay to loud and it clipping as a result. Everything else is pretty quiet. Also the sound is perfectly smooth the entire time, it just lags a bunch.

I'm running a i7 4790k 16gb ram on Win10
iwasaperson

Post by iwasaperson »

I am also having major problems with this. PCem is always running at 100% for me, and I am getting around half a second of latency from when I do something to when the sound is supposed to play. This happens both with the PC Speaker, and with an audio card.
t9999clint

Post by t9999clint »

The audio clipping glitches I mentioned are from weird default settings in mixerset, I fixed that easy enough, but the latency is still definitely there.

Also MPU-401 midi redirection doesn't work in tyrian, it only forwarding one of the midi channels and it's sending the wrong instrument data. I have no idea why, on my real p133mmx awe64 machine it works fine.