My suggestions for PCem

Support and general discussion.
commander_keen

My suggestions for PCem

Post by commander_keen »

Hi! I have some suggestions about the emulator that would be good for the future!

1. PCjr Cart Support

MAME already has this, it should be easy to implement. All the cartridge port does (for most carts) on real hardware is map itself to a region of RAM that the PCjr BIOS finds, so it should be easy to do.

2. PC98/FM Towns Emulation

Could be possible. The PC-98xx series was really popular in japan, and it's like a regular PC, just with incompatible interrupt/BIOS handling and custom video or sound hardware.

3. Emulation of IBM PS/1 Sound Card
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrwhlRSixjI

Now that we have the PS/1 emulated, it would be a good time to do this. Really easy, since it's just a SN76489 clone card and a DAC.

These are all the suggestions I have right now.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: My suggestions for PCem

Post by SarahWalker »

PC98 and FM Towns won't happen, as they aren't IBM compatible, and hence won't be included in PCem. The other two should be feasible.
commander_keen

Re: My suggestions for PCem

Post by commander_keen »

Another suggestion I forgot to include in my post: Actual emulation of ISA/PCI/AGP slots.
Mockup
Currently, PCem can only emulate 1 video card and 1 sound card. Say that you wanted to emulate 2 VGA cards at once while having an AdLib (if it were possible on real hardware)? Seperate slot emulation would be good for this. A problem would be the lack of support of seperate screens though.

Seperate slot emulation also gives a possibility of adding expansion cards, such as Bus Mouse cards and Future Domain SCSI cards.

Also: One thing that bothers me that there is a 6845 CRTC emulator for almost each card that uses it in the codefiles. Splitting the MC6845 emulation code and making CGA, Hercules, etc. cards share the same CRTC emulator would be way better.

And another complaint: why does this setting exist? This is completely fictional and seems like a fake hack for the timing of each video card. Emulating where video cards actually get their timings on would be proper.