PCem infrared emulation

Support and general discussion.
Bogus

PCem infrared emulation

Post by Bogus »

When will be infrared emulation?
I know, how it works, two devices are close to each other and infrared signals are sent and received.
Only i not know, how can be implemented, some machines have an infrared option in the bios in integrated peripherals.
omarsis81

Re: PCem infrared emulation

Post by omarsis81 »

What would be its usage? Transfer data?
I understand it came on notebooks only?
Bogus

Post by Bogus »

Some desktop pc has built-in infrared port, e.g intel 430vx, fic va-503+, etc.
Yes, transfer data e.g.
Infra Red (IR) Function, is such option in bios.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I still don't know how the host computer could communicate with the other computer with native IR. Modern computers don't have built-in IR, am I right?
Installing a PCI infrared card on the PCem machine?
Bogus

Post by Bogus »

Yes, modern pcs not have built-in IR, this not was on pci or usb, but was built-in on mainboard like floppy controller or com port.
Windows 9x has Infrared Communication Device installed via add new hardware, but on PCem does nothing, missing emulation this device.
https://techgenix.com/content/wn/img/gi ... redh03.gif
Infrared works by sending infrared waves from one device to another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQncyT-zunI, 1:29
That's how it works :)
After install infrared windows create com port and lpt port simulated.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I believe my idea of serial cable emulation is easier to program and more useful
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3421&p=13638
Bogus

Post by Bogus »

I know, but would be nice to emulate infrared, maybe infrared works on the same principle as the serial cable, only that wireless and by infrared waves.
Dosbox has null-modem emulation, bochs also, can be ported.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Where would it infrared to? Use pass-through to host infrared so you could...infrared to some ancient laptop? Probably too impractical to bother with IMHO. I've hardly used IR on my laptops, probably the most IR i've ever done was with an ancient 3-button wireless mouse in the 90s, and a couple of USB gamepads in the 00s, and they've had nothing to do with the IR networking stuff in Windows.

If you don't know how things can be implemented, then don't give suggestions of "can be ported" and expect "when" to have whatever with pressuring entitlement. That just seems to echoing the recent "voodoo3 when? just port it from bochs" crap from earlier.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

Yea, why don't you just port it? It's just a few buttons, right? Copy, paste. Chop, chop. Now off to make a 'goo-ey' interface using visual basic to track down some IPs.
Bogus

Post by Bogus »

I don't know much about programming, but Sarah Walker can implement it, if knows how it works.
I not have infrared in my laptop.
edit:
I already know, how infrared is connected, ir receiver is connected to motherboard via serial port, during infrared installation windows tells to choose psychical serial port, where ir receiver is connected.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Bogus wrote: Tue 21 Jul, 2020 12:38 pm I don't know much about programming, but Sarah Walker can implement it, if knows how it works.
Yeah, but I don't want to.
Bogus

Post by Bogus »

Too bad, no pc emulator has infrared emulation.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

I don't think infrared emulation will be possible.
Cheez

Post by Cheez »

I keep seeing talk about how it could be done and whether or not it should be done but I'm not seeing any actual useful purpose to emulating it other than for it to just be there. Something with absolutely no real use is going to be minimal priority over something that would actually do something or provide functionality to a program that otherwise had none. There's no case being made here for why it needs to be a thing right now.
Bogus

Post by Bogus »

Realy?
E.g gbc emulator GEST has infrared emulation via SDL_net, dolphin emulator also has infrared emulation for IR pointer of wiimote, bochs has null-modem emulation, pipe client server.
Maybe infrared works similar like null-modem.
Infrared pnp id are pnp0510 and pnp0511.
IR distance can be regulated e.g like sound buffer, the more, the greater the distance and the less , the less the distance.
Maybe in future will be emulated, he he.
leilei

Post by leilei »

You've got to look at it from a practicality standpoint.
Console/handheld emulators emulating IR is more important for functionality than how infrared was for PCs as there's plenty of games that rely on IR functionality (i.e. for linking, wiimotes etc). PCs weren't the same. There's probably some corporate industry software that rely on IR (knowing those random "how do i get v-tal ind-str-al c-ntr-ll-r to w-rk" threads on dsobox's forum), but as far as I know, no games did. There's IR remote stuff for DVD/TV card software, but...why emulate that? If you have some rare IR serial mouse or some IR gamepads through USB, the host OS's likely already taken care of that for you.
Bogus

Post by Bogus »

Yeah.
If not will be emulated, difficult.