Win 98 - some 3dfx randomly crash at desktop

Post by Solstar82 »

i am using win 98, latest version of pcem, with

Shuttle ot 557

pentium 166

64 mb
phoenix trio s64 4 mb

fast vlb

voodoo 2 activated - 4mb - 4mb - bilinear filtering - render thread 2 - recompiler

my rig - i9 9900k 3.6 ghz - gtx 1080 8 gb - 32 gb ram

with that out of the way, i tried some 3dfx games. some run perfectly fine, screamer. pandemonium 2 etc, other like uprising, jet moto etc, just crash to windows, following a black screen with suppsoedly a message (that i cannot see), and if i press enter, i can go back to windows again. Again, there is no error message , so i cannto specifiy what is saying or missing, but for sure there is a error but only some 3dfx games. some other works as intended, complete with 3dfx spinning logo etc
leilei

Re: Win 98 - some 3dfx randomly crash at desktop

Post by leilei »

A tip to read error messages blind is to press Print-Screen to capture the unreadable video card, and then close the game, and paste that into mspaint.

Uprising doesn't support the Voodoo2.

Don't forget to try different driver versions if some Direct3D games aren't working. 3dfx made some regressions around November 1999 when they added DX7 API support (which also requires the installation of DirectX 7), so going back to a June 1999 driver should fix some things (likewise, going to a Feb 2000 driver should fix other things)
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

oh i see. didn't know that i will try this screenshot thing.

and yes on jet moto it says, when choosing video card "3dfx voodoo 2 (direct x 7)"

need to find thosde drivers then. can i just install them on top or do i need to wipe them out first
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

ok i tried latest driver found here http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/voodoo2.htm the one in jan 2000, same issue. also i tried the print screen solution ,and in ms paint it just pasted a black screen :(
MiraiMiracle

Post by MiraiMiracle »

Is it a PCem bug or something? I thought that it was a page fault error. Can you please try the original Voodoo Graphics one?
"You cannot escape my Persona!"
leilei

Post by leilei »

Supposedly, Jet Moto needs a patch for the Voodoo2 to work on it (jetsetup.zip/exe)
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

leilei wrote: Sun 18 Oct, 2020 3:45 pm Supposedly, Jet Moto needs a patch for the Voodoo2 to work on it (jetsetup.zip/exe)
i downloaded the patch of the game, but after running the sintaller it says "that there is no space avaialable" despite 1) having a 5 gb hard disk and 2) doesn't even let me choose the destination, nor is specified where it is going to install it.

where is that jetsetup.zip/exe you mentioned before?
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

MiraiMiracle wrote: Sun 18 Oct, 2020 9:36 am Is it a PCem bug or something? I thought that it was a page fault error. Can you please try the original Voodoo Graphics one?
sure will try
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

leilei wrote: Sun 18 Oct, 2020 3:45 pm Supposedly, Jet Moto needs a patch for the Voodoo2 to work on it (jetsetup.zip/exe)
ok found the patch,. reinstalled the game,it works :) thanks. wish i could do the same for the other games
Xanarki

Post by Xanarki »

I know this sounds basic, but have you tried enabling (or disabling) SLI on the Voodoo2? Some games require or don't support it.

Also, try lowering Hardware Acceleration (right click desktop, properties, settings tab, performance tab).

Also, depending on the game, some try to default to the other card instead of the Voodoo2. Might wanna see if a game has a .ini file or some other options to select the device.