Installing win 98 from CD

Support and general discussion.
buka

Installing win 98 from CD

Post by buka »

Hello I've run into a problem with installing windows 98 SE on Award 430VX PCI - Pentium MMX 233. I have never installed win 98 outside of VMs so bear with me please. I'm mainly interested in the 3dfx emulation since I've got a couple of games that refuse to work correctly on both VMs and wrappers and I'm generally not satisfied with their accuracy.

Okay so normally in VMs I would install windows by booting the PC from the win98 CD-Rom and choosing "Start Windows 98 Setup from CD-Rom" option. However PCem gives me "The WIndows 98 Setup files were not found" error and I'm pretty sure it has to be something with the emu because the same image worked perfectly fine in my VM. Any suggestions on what to do next? Trying to launch the setup manually with "setup" command results with "CDR103: CDROM not High Sierra or ISO-9660 format reading drive D" error.

Any help is welcome.
Zacker

Re: Installing win 98 from CD

Post by Zacker »

IDK why but installing Win9x on the CD is a total nightmare in PCem. For me, my problem is that when Windows is installed it would not detect the virtual CDs NO MATTER WHAT. Real CDs however, do fine
(I only have a couple of metal albums on CD so that's useless). Try extracting the win98 folder in the CD to a folder in the HDD image. For me that works
buka

Post by buka »

Thanks for the idea this workaroud actually worked!

Let's just hope the next release will add some proper virtual cd-rom support and fix any remaining issues.
Battler

Post by Battler »

- Zacker: What are you using to mount the CD images? Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% work best, other mounters are hit and miss with PCem.
Zacker

Post by Zacker »

- Battler: I'm using the windows 10 mount options(right click, mount). Works for anything below 200MB in Windows 9X, full in DOS. Hosting an actual CD works well too. I don't have access to any software CDs but testing what CPU to emulate best with Metallica works great.