When Can i find ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach64 GX)

Support and general discussion.
dstter

When Can i find ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach64 GX)

Post by dstter »

Official page shows it's possible to use this video card, but there is not a file ROM to download. And, is it possible to run a P2 or P3 processor?
leilei

Re: When Can i find ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach64 GX)

Post by leilei »

I won't help the ROM search.

The P2 and P3 are way far off. We don't have Pentium Pro emulation yet and that's a radically different architecture than Pentium and it's uncertain that host cpus these days can handle the emulated speed of them (given they were for the time, the fastest CPUs on the consumer x86 market in 95-99).

(disclaimer: i do not know v11's roadmap and don't wish to speculate on it. but i do hope there is something radical to account for the obligatory spinal tap references)
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

leilei wrote:The P2 and P3 are way far off.
Certain Bioses Claim they are PII and PIII if run in PCem:

Pentium II
Pentium II
P2.png (19.61 KiB) Viewed 5844 times
Pentium III
Pentium III
p3.png (18.89 KiB) Viewed 5844 times

me go sit in the naughty corner :P
Battler

Post by Battler »

- te_lanus: Well but those are 440FX BIOS. And well, whoever wants to try P2 or PPro, might want to try PCem-X as that attempts to emulate both, however it's still incomplete (missing APIC on chip, PAE, PSE, etc.) and has some bugs (SYSENTER/SYSEXIT don't work completely well and like causing XP to BSoD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL).
But I have put work on P2 on hold, currently working on bringing as many as possible of PCem-X's changes to the mainline. This is the roadmap (black = to be done, red = in progress, blue = in progress, partially done, green = done):
- Floppy changes;
- IDE/ATAPI improvements such as implementation of several missing ATAPI commands, completely redone disc changed handler that works properly even in, say, NT 3.1, and ISO loading (code by RichardG);
- 8088 improvements, specifically added missing CPU instruction aliases by me, and timing-related improvements by reenigne;
- Socket 5 Pentiums separate from socket 7 ones (currently mainline PCem allows using all socket 7 Pentiums with Advanced/EV which is a Socket 5 board with 430FX chipset);
- A whole load of more Pentium CPU's, basically stuff like Pentium MMX OverDrives, etc. (which also gives more choice for Socket 4 boards);
- Port of DOSBox CGA composite code by reenigne and addition of New CGA as another video card option;
- EGA/VGA overscan emulation;
- Chips & Technologies SuperEGA emulation;
- (S)VGA fixes;
- Keyboard improvements such as scan code sets 2 and 3 etc. (will be next, need Tom's input on an issue I mentioned in the Acer M3a thread);
- Additional emulated machines, mostly from the Pentium era but also one from the 486 era (Award SiS 471);
- Networking (I have taken neozeed's work futher and started adding the RTL8029AS, still need to refine it though, also added Network Boot ROM support).

The patches will be provided in this order, starting with the floppy stuff on which work is already on going. Once this done, the only difference between PCem and PCem-X should remain the 430TX (which I will not yet provide to mainline because it needs PIIX 4 which is absolutely not yet emulated) the two 440FX boards (because PPro and P2 emulation is absolutely not up to par with PCem standards yet, as it's very preliminary), and the K5 and K6 CPU's which are not in any way accurate and therefore not up to PCem standards. At that point, PCem-X work would focus on refining the remaining differences until they reach PCem standards. :p