Windows 98SE Freezes on Attempting to Reboot

Support and general discussion.
CryptidWorks

Windows 98SE Freezes on Attempting to Reboot

Post by CryptidWorks »

Host system:

MSI x570-A Pro Motherboard
Ryzen R5-3600X (Precision Boost enabled, hitting 4.1Ghz all-core and up to 4.3Ghz single core)
Deepcool GAMMIX 400 CPU Cooler
16GB DDR4 (2400Mhz)
RTX-2070 Windforce Edition (Max boost around 2Ghz)
Windows 10 Professional
----------------------------------------------
Emulated Machine:

Pentium MMX 233Mhz
Voodoo 3 3000 (16MB)
512MB of RAM
Soundblaster PCI 128
10GB HDD
Windows 98SE

There seems to be a new bug with WIndows 98SE where almost everytime I try to reboot the system for anything the OS freezes and I have to do a hard reset via the PCEM menu. Made an entirely new machine and set it while testing stuff and it displayed the same behavior right out of the gate so it's a persistent issue and not a fluke with my main PCEM machine.

Doesn't interfere with just using it normally once it's actually booted and running but it's annoying
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Windows 98SE Freezes on Attempting to Reboot

Post by SarahWalker »

What model / motherboard are you emulating for that setup?
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

SarahWalker wrote: Thu 31 Dec, 2020 2:40 pm What model / motherboard are you emulating for that setup?
The FIC VA-503+ is the one I happened to use but it was also doing it with the Gigabyte Slot 1 board when I tested a Pentium II.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

Had the same issue myself while recording a few dual boot tutorials. The slot 1 one works fine about 50% of the time for me though (the other 50% is the issue described above). The FIC board does it every time with a clean install.

Using the K6-2 300, FIC board, 128MB RAM, S3 VIRGE DX, AWE32, 10gb HD (as dynamic size) and Win98SE fresh installed does this every time.

edit: attached config. This machine does it every time for me when I go to 'restart'. The disk is a 4gb with dynamic size and plain Win98SE install - nothing else. Sarah, if you need the disk image file as well - let me know.
Attachments
crashy.cfg
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

Here's configs from one of my machines, to.
Win98.cfg
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
configs.txt
(45 Bytes) Downloaded 269 times
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

I'll have a look. As a workaround, try disabling power management in the bios.
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

SarahWalker wrote: Fri 01 Jan, 2021 10:35 am I'll have a look. As a workaround, try disabling power management in the bios.
Already disabled by default
PCem_2021_01_01_14_19_16_597.jpg
PCem_2021_01_01_14_19_16_597.jpg (285.54 KiB) Viewed 7650 times
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

This isn't really the same bug I would think but I updated my 98se to v17 last night Today I was playing a few things Jedi knight 2 and Sub colture. Was playing for a along time like I do sometimes with no problems in past pcem's but today after update the games was locking up to where the last key pushed was stuck and no other keyboard inputs would work. Basically hard reset was only thing I could do =[ It happened two times on jk2 onces in sc over about two hours time. All my games do run a lot better. It's a great update! I have a win95 and ME os install as well and haven't seen this happen on them. Just thought I'd say something about it =p
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

tr.StEalTH wrote: Sun 03 Jan, 2021 4:47 am This isn't really the same bug I would think but I updated my 98se to v17 last night Today I was playing a few things Jedi knight 2 and Sub colture. Was playing for a along time like I do sometimes with no problems in past pcem's but today after update the games was locking up to where the last key pushed was stuck and no other keyboard inputs would work. Basically hard reset was only thing I could do =[ It happened two times on jk2 onces in sc over about two hours time. All my games do run a lot better. It's a great update! I have a win95 and ME os install as well and haven't seen this happen on them. Just thought I'd say something about it =p
If you have a different bug, it is a general forum etiquette to make a different thread for it.
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

A. Naim wrote: Sun 03 Jan, 2021 7:41 pm
tr.StEalTH wrote: Sun 03 Jan, 2021 4:47 am This isn't really the same bug I would think but I updated my 98se to v17 last night Today I was playing a few things Jedi knight 2 and Sub colture. Was playing for a along time like I do sometimes with no problems in past pcem's but today after update the games was locking up to where the last key pushed was stuck and no other keyboard inputs would work. Basically hard reset was only thing I could do =[ It happened two times on jk2 onces in sc over about two hours time. All my games do run a lot better. It's a great update! I have a win95 and ME os install as well and haven't seen this happen on them. Just thought I'd say something about it =p
If you have a different bug, it is a general forum etiquette to make a different thread for it.
"Windows 98SE Freezes" seemed in the ballpark to me =p
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

tr.StEalTH wrote: Sun 03 Jan, 2021 9:47 pm
A reboot freeze typically happens for much different reasons that freezes when playing specific games.
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

Like anything you had to say helped!~ why don't you post a rule at the top of forums page. oh your not a admin, also etiquette has nothing to do with 98se freezes So you are in fact braking your own dumb rule and getting in the way of anybody that could be wanting to read this. I'm done with you. =p Sorry @CryptidWorks for this guy!
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

A. Naim wrote: Sun 03 Jan, 2021 10:30 pm
A reboot freeze typically happens for much different reasons that freezes when playing specific games.
OP of the thread here

Stealth is welcome to post here and your welcome to not bully people and pick fights because they report a bug in a way you don't like. Nobody likes backseat modding.
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

CryptidWorks wrote: Mon 04 Jan, 2021 1:05 am
A. Naim wrote: Sun 03 Jan, 2021 10:30 pm

OP of the thread here

Stealth is welcome to post here and your welcome to not bully people and pick fights because they report a bug in a way you don't like. Nobody likes backseat modding.
I wasn't trying to "bully" them. I just thought it was probably a separate issue that would be better handled in a separate thread.

Some people appreciate when others try to help them. I will remember that you are not one of them.
Cheez

Post by Cheez »

All three of you are annoying. Quit with the bickering. You're also not "helping" anyone.

And yeah, it wasn't bullying or backseat modding.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Knock it off.

tr.StEalTH: Please open a new thread for your bug.