Issues with Compaq DeskPro/386

Support and general discussion.
RichCini

Issues with Compaq DeskPro/386

Post by RichCini »

Hi all --

I've been experiencing the same "162-System Options Not Set" errors reported by others on the DeskPro/386. Not sure the cause, but I tried to test a few items so maybe it will jog something. This is my favorite machine, being the first PC I used back in 1986 -- I had a Fat Mac before that but most of my business classes in college needed the PC, so I had to get one. I really like how PCem emulates specific models of machines from that era.

Code 162, I believe, is a CMOS Checksum Error. For the tests, I used several versions of Compaq's Diagnostics program to set the NVR -- v5.08, v6.04 and v8.00 -- and I get the same results. I've deleted the NVR file, too. I thought maybe some emulated hardware isn't being recorded properly, so I tested a few things to see what might be causing the 162.

The RTC seems to be OK, as does the video and the hard drive, although I noticed that the default drive types are standard AT types; the DeskPro has a different drive type table. Using "custom" and CHS parameters that match the Compaq type seems to be OK.

Math Co-Pro. If you select 387 in the machine configuration, the post barfs with a 704 detection error. So, this needs to be set to "off". When you run the User Diagnostics, it reports Weitek as the co-processor. Save. Reboot. POST-162. Run Diags again and the co-processor disappeared. Save. Reboot. It reappears. Kind of weird. Could be part of the issue.

Memory. Not sure about this one. It reports the correct amount of RAM (15mb) but the Diagnostics shows no memory boards installed, but it won't allow you to change anything.

Separately, I tried to run the diagnostics and it barfs on the CPU detection, complaining that it's an unsupported 80386 version. Again, not sure how it figures that out (if it uses the standard Intel detect method or something else). Likely not part of the issue but I thought I'd mention it.

Finally, I noticed that the POST memory test is very slow, even at the fastest 386 speed available. 3 minutes, 2 seconds to perform the memory test. I built a PS/2 Model 80 last night (which is also 386) and the POST memory test is wicked fast. So, it must relate to how the DP386 does the memory test.

If you can get past the few beeps and having to hit F1 every time you boot, it works just fine. I have Windows 3.11 running and tonight I'm going to install the Trident and Sound Blaster drivers.

Any insights on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich
Dacicus

Re: Issues with Compaq DeskPro/386

Post by Dacicus »

How do you have floppy drives set up? I ran into a similar problem several months ago, and it seemed to be related to the floppy settings I tried in the Compaq Diagnostics program.
RichCini

Post by RichCini »

I'd have to check, but I probably had A as 1.44mb and B as 1.2mb. I also probably tried 360k and 720k for A as well since I have disk images of various types.
Dacicus

Post by Dacicus »

Try setting both to 1.44mb.
RichCini

Post by RichCini »

Will give it a try. Thanks.