Daikatana & Voodoo1

Support and general discussion.
xenaretos

Daikatana & Voodoo1

Post by xenaretos »

Recently decided to test Daikatana on my emulated late 90s machine and found out that it runs at about 1fps, including the menus, when using Voodoo1, regardless of the amount of VRAM.

This made me curious, and I tried different combinations of drivers and versions: the vanilla, 1.2, 1.3 versions of the game, latest vanilla drivers (3.00.01) as well as Iceman 3.01.01 from 3dfxzone.it + multiple minigl dlls combination all produced the same result on my Win98SE guest and Win7 x64 host, using Ryzen 2600x at the moment. Tried with p2 233 (not always possible to run 100%) and p233mmx (more or less always possible to run at 100%).

I am curious to find out if this is how it's supposed to be (i.e. guest software or actual hardware incompatibilities), or if this is an emulation issue. Has anyone else experienced something similar? The game does run fine if I switch to Baneshee in v17, but I had some issues with other games and am interested in trying Voodoo1 in particular (which I didn't have back in the day, so, I can't be sure if this is, in fact, some hardware compatibility problem). All other games I tested run fine (as expected) with Voodoo1.
leilei

Re: Daikatana & Voodoo1

Post by leilei »

You'll have to go into current.cfg and change the gl_driver line to 3dfxgl manually.

There's many OpenGL games that don't bother enumerating the Voodoo1/2 (...by assuming from presence of glide2x.dll in many cases which is a bad practice) and switching appropriately to their ICD. Daikatana is one of them. Daikatana also doesn't expose a menu option for this either.
daikatanav1.jpg
daikatanav1.jpg (87.3 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
(fun fact: it also has a PowerVR MiniGL too and it performs horribly on such hardware :) )
xenaretos

Post by xenaretos »

Thanks for the info, that worked. I wonder why I couldn't find any period info on that, I'm pretty sure a lot of people still had at least Voodoo2-s in 2000. Perhaps GLSetup installed proper drivers that are more difficult to obtain right now, so, people didn't experience such problems (while changing the driver in the config is more of a hack that we know exists because it's using Quake 2 engine).
leilei

Post by leilei »

GLSetup was a video driver installer made more to answer Q3Test support emails (as many of them involved Voodoos at the time, and there was much mixed language of what OpenGL meant etc..no thanks to minidrivers). What GLSetup installs are the same drivers as the latest proper video driver at the time of GLSetup's compilation, which would be Dec 2000 at the latest IIRC. For V1, this would be the "vg-w9x-q3" driver from 1999.

however in Daikatana's case, it'll happily ignore the ICDs provided by those drivers and attempt using opengl32.dll first (which, in your case, gets stuck in a slow Microsoft GDI software renderer)
xenaretos

Post by xenaretos »

So, it didn't install anything special, then. Which does make the original pondering of why there are no remnants of such questions from back then.
One place I neglected to look in (this being 2021, I guess) is the readme, and, apparently, they do tell you to replace the driver in the config file in there. Guess I would have looked in there back in 2000 in case of such problems with a higher likelyhood than now. Things people could get away with back then...