Trying to find good information, and a place to start.

Support and general discussion.
waldojim42

Trying to find good information, and a place to start.

Post by waldojim42 »

I have been playing with the V10 PCEM for a bit now, and have finally gotten to a point where I am looking for advice.
I have gone through the forums a bit, and searched elsewhere, but there really isn't much information regarding expected performance.

I have an Alienware laptop running an i7 4770MQ (throttlestop locked to 3.5Ghz) with 8GB of ram. I am trying to run DOS 6.22 with Geoworks, and several games. I would prefer to run on the WinAMI bios with a 486DX100 emulated, and an 8GB hard disk. The drive is setup already as 8192Cyl 16H 63SPT, 16MB ram for the 486, and the AMI bios in place. I can install and run the system far better than any other emulator in the past, but I have choppy/repeating audio. As I understand it, that is because the system cannot emulate the 100Mhz machine quick enough. So I started sliding back the clocks. Right now, it looks like 50Mhz is the best it can do.

For the moment, this is working well enough, but at 50mhz, the system almost feels like it is behaving slower than expected. Copy functions, Arachne, Geos, etc all load and function slower than expected. At 100Mhz, everything felt snappy and responsive, even with the sub-par performance (85% or so on average). I feel like I am doing something wrong to get this behavior.

So the real question is - what kind of performance can be expected from a quad core Intel @3.5Ghz? And if I am running short of that performance, what can I do to help it behave better?
leilei

Re: Trying to find good information, and a place to start.

Post by leilei »

Is dynamic recompiler enabled? You should be able to hit 100% on the lower Pentiums with infinite cache with that cpu, and 486dx4 100 shouldn't be an issue
waldojim42

Post by waldojim42 »

Yes it is.
waldojim42

Post by waldojim42 »

Here is a trimmed copy of the config - I removed the nonexistent items (like GUS).

model = 30
cpu_manufacturer = 0
cpu = 10
cpu_use_dynarec = 1
gfxcard = 5
video_speed = 3
sndcard = 6
cpu_speed = 6
has_fpu = 1
slow_video = 1
cache = 0
mem_size = 16