How is Voodoo performance doing in latest REVs

Support and general discussion.
Orchidsworn

How is Voodoo performance doing in latest REVs

Post by Orchidsworn »

First off I could never figure out how to compile the latest revisions of this emulator. So instead I was wondering if someone could tell me how the performance of Voodoo 1 emulation is doing. If I am not mistaking it is now being handled with a recompiler. I also remember being told that Voodoo 1 was slower in emulation than the actual hardware. Are we now on par?

I also am happy to see that the maps work properly now on NFSII and III. Two games that really have my interest when it comes to PCEM.

You are getting close to making some of my older machines obsolete. Network support and I got very little reasons to use some of them. But of course just like everything once I am satisfied on my current list of desires I am just going want more I am human after all I think. I am deeply thankful for this emulator. Keep up the great work.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: How is Voodoo performance doing in latest REVs

Post by SarahWalker »

On my machine (Core i5-3550) with the recompiler enabled and using 2 render threads, the emulated fillrate is now always at or above the rate of the real card (35-40 mpixels/sec in actual games) in the games I tried. I have seen it go considerably faster (> 100 mpixels/sec) in one game (Shadowman), but that's something of an outlier.

There are more optimisations that can be made, but as the emulated CPU is now always the bottleneck in my experience, there's little point accelerating the Voodoo further at this stage.
buka

Post by buka »

TomWalker wrote:On my machine (Core i5-3550) with the recompiler enabled and using 2 render threads, the emulated fillrate is now always at or above the rate of the real card (35-40 mpixels/sec in actual games) in the games I tried. I have seen it go considerably faster (> 100 mpixels/sec) in one game (Shadowman), but that's something of an outlier.

There are more optimisations that can be made, but as the emulated CPU is now always the bottleneck in my experience, there's little point accelerating the Voodoo further at this stage.
That's so good to hear now we need to emulate the pentium II it seems :) cannot wait for the new release.
Orchidsworn

Post by Orchidsworn »

buka wrote:
TomWalker wrote:On my machine (Core i5-3550) with the recompiler enabled and using 2 render threads, the emulated fillrate is now always at or above the rate of the real card (35-40 mpixels/sec in actual games) in the games I tried. I have seen it go considerably faster (> 100 mpixels/sec) in one game (Shadowman), but that's something of an outlier.

That's so good to hear now we need to emulate the pentium II it seems :) cannot wait for the new release.

Well Pentium being still a bottleneck I say it might be time to go Voodoo II
leilei

Post by leilei »

Voodoo2 would be heavily bottlenecked, though on a real slow system it does have an edge over Voodoo Graphics in certain games due to multitexture usage simplifying triangle setup.

and there's also that additional vram and the improved paletted texture support

on the CPU side there's still the other S7 CPUs, but whether they're worth bothering w9th while there's fairly mature Pentium emulation is another question entirely. IDT Winchip is fair emulation of the usual "PR rating" rivals
Battler

Post by Battler »

buka wrote:

First the Pentium emulation should be sped up enough that I can play Wolfenstein 3D at 100% on a Pentium 75 without having to get a new PC. :p
Zacker

Post by Zacker »

Battler wrote:
buka wrote:

First the Pentium emulation should be sped up enough that I can play Wolfenstein 3D at 100% on a Pentium 75 without having to get a new PC. :p
Amen to that. Both my laptop and my i3 desktop can run Wolf3D on a P75 fine, but Doom and Duke Nukem 3D are a lost cause. Getting ~60% on P75 and ~75% on P66 for Doom, Duke Nukem just wants to make me puke with it's horrible framerate
startmenu

Post by startmenu »

Well... My benckmark (rev 426), host: Core i3-3110M 2.4GHz...
While benchmarking, CPU speed always dropped below 30%... So I thought this scores made no sense。
QQ图片20160115233708.png
QQ图片20160115233708.png (41.63 KiB) Viewed 13595 times
Only got 332(3dmark) 440(CPU 3dmark) under WinChip 133. On WinChip 133, Tomb Raider 1 (with 3dfx patch) speed never drops below 95%.

Here's the result on DOSBox SVN-Daum.
b7aebc99a9014c087929bd480c7b02087af4f453.jpg
b7aebc99a9014c087929bd480c7b02087af4f453.jpg (180.7 KiB) Viewed 13595 times
buka

Post by buka »

Orchidsworn wrote:
I'm not sure you know what a bottleneck is..
Amen to that. Both my laptop and my i3 desktop can run Wolf3D on a P75 fine, but Doom and Duke Nukem 3D are a lost cause. Getting ~60% on P75 and ~75% on P66 for Doom, Duke Nukem just wants to make me puke with it's horrible framerate
Strange on my i5-6600k@4.5 Ghz I do not seem to go below 75% while emulating Pentium 233.. haven't tested these games though. Yeah it could be definitely faster but I guess that's the price you pay for accuracy.
startmenu wrote:Well... My benckmark (rev 426), host: Core i3-3110M 2.4GHz...
While benchmarking, CPU speed always dropped below 30%... So I thought this scores made no sense。
QQ图片20160115233708.png
Only got 332(3dmark) 440(CPU 3dmark) under WinChip 133. On WinChip 133, Tomb Raider 1 (with 3dfx patch) speed never drops below 95%.

Here's the result on DOSBox SVN-Daum.
b7aebc99a9014c087929bd480c7b02087af4f453.jpg
Well, I suppose the CPU speed is always the same and has nothing to do with the actual emulation speed hence you'll probably get similar benchmark results even when having 5% emulation speed it will just take X more time to complete..

@TomWalker

How many CPU cores can PCem actually utilize at the same time when emulating let's say a pentium mmx with voodoo card? I'm just curious whether it's worth having a i5 or even a i7.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

buka wrote:
Orchidsworn wrote:Amen to that. Both my laptop and my i3 desktop can run Wolf3D on a P75 fine, but Doom and Duke Nukem 3D are a lost cause. Getting ~60% on P75 and ~75% on P66 for Doom, Duke Nukem just wants to make me puke with it's horrible framerate
Strange on my i5-6600k@4.5 Ghz I do not seem to go below 75% while emulating Pentium 233.. haven't tested these games though.
All three of those games make heavy use of self modifying code, which the recompiler is particularly bad at handling. Duke 3D is especially slow on the current design. I'd suggest running Quake if you want to see the current emulation at it's best.
How many CPU cores can PCem actually utilize at the same time when emulating let's say a pentium mmx with voodoo card? I'm just curious whether it's worth having a i5 or even a i7.
Currently 4 - Voodoo emulation uses 1 thread for FIFO processing plus 1 or 2 for rendering, and everything else runs on a fourth thread. There are very few circumstances when all threads will be running at 100% though. Not sure if it's worth upgrading to an i5, an i7 would definitely be a waste of time. It would be interesting to benchmark on similarly clocked Pentiums, i3s and i5s to see what the exact benefit is.
Orchidsworn

Post by Orchidsworn »

buka wrote:
Orchidsworn wrote:
I'm not sure you know what a bottleneck is..
I was under the impression that Pentium emulation was the current bottleneck. If that was true I would say further optimization maybe in order before moving on to Pentium II but if the Voodoo recompiler is all that maybe it is time to move on to trying some Voodoo II.

Tell me what a bottleneck is to you?
buka

Post by buka »

Orchidsworn wrote: I was under the impression that Pentium emulation was the current bottleneck. If that was true I would say further optimization maybe in order before moving on to Pentium II but if the Voodoo recompiler is all that maybe it is time to move on to trying some Voodoo II.

Tell me what a bottleneck is to you?
Yes that's right it's a bottleneck but as far as I'm concerned not the emulation of it but rather the actual processor itself just like on a real hardware.
leilei

Post by leilei »

TomWalker wrote:the emulated fillrate is now always at or above the rate of the real card (35-40 mpixels/sec in actual games) in the games I tried
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d- ... ,51-3.html
meaninglessly, I've compared PCem at P200MMX Infinite with V1 and the Turok demo -benchmark, it seems to get a 60.3 TMARK score for Glide and placing that a bit faster than the common Monster3D and right behind the overpowered enthusiast Obsidian V1

(also my execution rate throughout all that was 75-95% :) )