Minor GUI visual issues

Support and general discussion.
FredPJ

Minor GUI visual issues

Post by FredPJ »

First, does this menu misalignment after mouse hover happens to everyone or just me?

Also, since I'm using a 2560x1440 desktop resolution (with AMD Virtual Super Resolution) on my HDTV which I use as my PC screen, the PCem window is so small and its edges are so thin that it becomes very hard to find the correct bottom left corner spot to resize the window (even though the cursor changes to the resize arrows sometimes it still isn't positioned at the right spot):

So, would it be possible to make the edges of the PCem window a little bit wider for us who use higher resolutions? Or even better, perhaps add a status bar with a window resizing corner similar to this?

Thanks.
Last edited by FredPJ on Wed 16 Mar, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
FredPJ

Re: Minor GUI visual issues

Post by FredPJ »

Speaking of the GUI, I propose correcting the "Configure Hard Discs" text string to the standard "Configure Hard Disks" (with a K), and changing the "Disc" menu to a simpler "Drives" menu containing:

Drive A: (with "Change..." and "Eject" submenus)
Drive B: (with "Change..." and "Eject" submenus)
CD-ROM (with CD-ROM submenus)

And here is a quick visual mockup of my previously proposed tabbed options window:

Battler

Post by Battler »

Your mockup is outdated, as it lacks the new addition to the Hard disks dialog which is the ability to select whether any of the channels is a hard disk or CD-ROM. I also propose to rename the Hard Disks tab to IDE, as it's after all become an IDE dialog. Also I am going to start uploading video patches next, and among that will be moving the composite etc. settings to graphics card configuration, which should already make the configuration window a bit smaller. :p

Edit: And tabs are generally a mess, because unfortunately they require the use of multiple dialog boxes for a single tabbed dialog (just take a look at Windows 95's SHELL32.DLL for an example :p), but I have come up with a solution to make it simple - have a few buttons at the top to pose as tabs and then set some controls to visible or invisible according to which button is selected.

Edit #2: And I of course agree with renaming hard discs to hard disks, as it is the international industrial convention to use disc for optical media and disk for everything else, and the convention is also followed in Britain.
FredPJ

Post by FredPJ »

Yes, it's outdated because I haven't tested any recent official PCem build, but it was only a quick mockup to better explain my suggestions anyway.

I agree, given the new changes "IDE" would be a better fit.

If tabs aren't an option, using triggers (buttons, bullets, images, whatever) to make the items visible/invisible would be a good idea, yes.