PCem rev 152 issues...

Support and general discussion.
ppgrainbow

PCem rev 152 issues...

Post by ppgrainbow »

Hey there! I'm new here.

First of all, I would like to thank you for making significant improvements to the PCem emulator and I really appreciate it. However, there are some issues that I found so far.

1. I'm currently using the AMI 286 configuration using the AMI 286 clone machine with just 2 MB of RAM and here's the issue.

When I try to install Windows 3.0 or Windows 3.1 on the AMI 286 clone machine, the emulated system would stop responding with a blinking cursor in the background and the installation will not proceed any further. I would have to hard reset the emulated machine.

I'm wondering if this issue also occurs on the IBM AT, Commodore PC 30 III and Dell System 200 emulated machines.

2. I also have the AMI WinBIOS configuration with 16 MB of RAM and another issue is that when I try to play a game such a Tempest (part of Microsoft Arcade running in Windows 3.11), for some reason the left and right keys would get stuck, thus losing control of the ship.

The current revision that I'm using is PCem v8.1 rev 152.

Is there anyway to fix one of these issues that I pointed out?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: PCem rev 152 issues...

Post by SarahWalker »

For 1), what graphics card are you using? What speed 286, what hard disc configuration? Which version of DOS, anything unusual in CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT? At which point during installation does it hang?
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

TomWalker wrote:For 1), what graphics card are you using? What speed 286, what hard disc configuration? Which version of DOS, anything unusual in CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT? At which point during installation does it hang?
I am using the OAK OTI-067 graphics card with video RAM set at 256 KB.

1. The version of DOS that I'm testing is MS-DOS 4.01. I have tested it under MS-DOS 6.22 on the 286 clone before.

2. The processor speed is set at 10 MHz. And the hard disk configuration is set at 820 cylinders, 6 heads and 17 sectors per track (40.84 MB capacity). The AMI-286 BIOS recongises it as type 40 in the CMOS setup.

The installation hangs when Windows 3.0 attempts to go into graphical mode setup after the files are copied in text mode. This occurs in the Disk 2 installation of Windows 3.0

Instead of going into 640 x 480 graphics mode, the installation would stop with a blinking cursor and I have to do a Hard Reset.

The same issue happens even if I do not load the Logitech mouse driver in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Something is totally amiss here and I'm taking a good guess that it has to do with the Intel 80286 processor emulation.

Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.1 installs successfully on emulated machines with a Intel 80386 or Intel 80486 processor.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Fixed in rev 155. Windows was mis-identifying the CPU type.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

TomWalker wrote:Fixed in rev 155. Windows was mis-identifying the CPU type.
Thank you so much for fixing this bug that caused Windows 3.x to mis-identify the CPU type. :D

I can't wait to try out rev 155 soon! :)
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

2) may be fixed in rev 157.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

TomWalker wrote:2) may be fixed in rev 157.
Thank you so much for tweaking the AT keyboard handler to fix stuck keys in this revision! :D