Sound Blaster volume and other newbie questions

Support and general discussion.
Neville

Sound Blaster volume and other newbie questions

Post by Neville » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 4:55 pm

Newbie here. Well, amateur, since I've been using PCem for a while now and set up a few systems.

My main question here is the Sound Blaster volume. It is so low by default! I've tried using the MIXERSET program that comes with the drivers, but it still keeps sounding much lower than my Windows 10 settings.

I have other questions as well.

1) What system do I need to run a Pentium MMX 233 machine? That's the highest configuration available, but I found my Athlon X4 640 at 3.0 Ghz. struggling even with lower configurations. I understand that what PCem does comes at a prize, but I'd feel better knowing the lower and higher system requirements.

2) I've found out that finding the exact drivers for a number of cards (Gravis UltraSound, SB16) can be challenging. Why not mentioning the *exact* revisions that are known to work with PCem? Yesterday I tried seeting up an UltraSound, but found that the version of ULTRAINIT that ships with v2.05 of the drivers didn't recognise the card. All that work for nothing! And I also ran into some trouble with the SB16 drivers, until I found out that I needed to apply the "Advanced Signal Processing upgrade (CSP.SYS v1.13)".

I'm talking about DOS, though. I guess that things would have gone smoother with a Win95/98 installation.

SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Sound Blaster volume and other newbie questions

Post by SarahWalker » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 7:47 pm

Neville wrote:My main question here is the Sound Blaster volume. It is so low by default! I've tried using the MIXERSET program that comes with the drivers, but it still keeps sounding much lower than my Windows 10 settings.
There's no real solution to this. PCem has relatively quiet audio output to prevent clipping when multiple sound devices are playing simultaneously.
1) What system do I need to run a Pentium MMX 233 machine? That's the highest configuration available, but I found my Athlon X4 640 at 3.0 Ghz. struggling even with lower configurations. I understand that what PCem does comes at a prize, but I'd feel better knowing the lower and higher system requirements.
To get most games running at full speed when emulating a 233 (which isn't the fastest btw, PCem goes up to Mobile Pentium MMX 300) on v11, you'll want basically the fastest overclocked i5/i7 you can get your hands on - something like an i5 2500k at 4.5 GHz. It does vary a lot depending on what you're trying to run though. Asking 'what system do I need' is a lot like asking 'how long is a piece of string'...
2) I've found out that finding the exact drivers for a number of cards (Gravis UltraSound, SB16) can be challenging. Why not mentioning the *exact* revisions that are known to work with PCem?
That assumes that I know that there are versions that don't work!

GUS 3.59 drivers definitely work. Don't know what version my SB16 drivers are, but they're the ones that shipped with the SB16 Value. I'm surprised you had to install anything related to the ASP/CSP, since PCem doesn't emulate it.

Neville

Re: Sound Blaster volume and other newbie questions

Post by Neville » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 8:09 pm

Thanks for the quick answers.

As for the SB16 drivers, I think I first used the "Sound Blaster Basic Disk for DOS/Windows 3.1 SDR-31STD-1-US (Revision 1)". They're available at VOGONS, which keeps a libray of old sound / video drivers for those who need them. The install was smooth, but there were some error messages when rebooting, which I solved using that upgrade. I think I also tried some Spanish DOS / Win31 drivers I have in store, but can't remember if they worked.