SOLVED: Help Please - CD-ROM installation under DOS

Support and general discussion.
misterj88

SOLVED: Help Please - CD-ROM installation under DOS

Post by misterj88 »

Hi there,

Loving the new PCem 8.1 - I have been playing with this today and I love the way it has come on since I last played with it. I downloaded both the release available on pcem-emulator.co.uk and "rev 152" from retroroms.net

I am having some trouble getting the CD-ROM working under MS-DOS - presumably I'm doing something simple and wrong as I see lots of other people have it working. I presume that the CD-ROM drive emulated is an ATAPI unit (and perhaps this is my fatal assumption). However when I configure the CD-ROM drive as "empty" and reset PCem the first thing I notice is that I can't detect any new IDE devices in the BIOS.

If I try and boot into DOS with a generic ATAPI IDE CD-ROM driver installed as soon as this driver is loaded through CONFIG.SYS then PCem either DOS hangs (or EMM386 says it has halted the machine and I must reboot) or in the case of rev 152 it crashes PCem.

Emulated machine is an AMI WinBIOS 486 with an i486DX/2-66 and SB16. I have tried a couple of different PCI graphics cards - currently settled on an S3 864 but the results are the same whichever I try.

Please can someone point me in the right direction? I presume I'm doing something fundamentally wrong here in configuring or setting up the CD-ROM drive.

Thanks in advance!

James
Last edited by misterj88 on Thu 11 Sep, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
misterj88

Re: Help Please - CD-ROM installation under DOS

Post by misterj88 »

Ok all fixed - I was using the HXCD driver that seems to be popular when working with virtualised environments such as VirtualBox - for some reason that crashes PCem. OAKCDROM works absolutely fine - lots of PCem goodness going on now.