Disable parallel ports and COM port 2?

Support and general discussion.
ndavis82

Disable parallel ports and COM port 2?

Post by ndavis82 »

Is there any way to completely disable the parallel ports and COM port 2? When I disable them in the BIOS (in any configuration) they still show as active on the POST screen and in Windows device manager. I am trying to get Gravis Ultrasound working in Windows and I think the IRQ conflicts are causing the problem.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Disable parallel ports and COM port 2?

Post by SarahWalker »

IO configurability is a bit hit and miss currently, and isn't fully implemented for most systems. What machine are you trying to use with this?

You should be able to change the GUS IRQ to something above IRQ 7 to avoid this. IRQ 10 usually works okay.
ndavis82

Post by ndavis82 »

SarahWalker wrote:IO configurability is a bit hit and miss currently, and isn't fully implemented for most systems. What machine are you trying to use with this?

You should be able to change the GUS IRQ to something above IRQ 7 to avoid this. IRQ 10 usually works okay.
I'm using Award 496/497. I'll give your suggestion of changing the IRQs a try and see if it works.
ndavis82

Post by ndavis82 »

Still doesn't work right. The sound plays for a split second and then stops. Ultrasound works fine in DOS, just not in Windows. Oh, well.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Is this Windows 3.x or 9x?
ndavis82

Post by ndavis82 »

SarahWalker wrote:Is this Windows 3.x or 9x?
Windows 95. Haven't tried 3.1 yet.