To start using 3dfx.

Support and general discussion.
Arkl1te

To start using 3dfx.

Post by Arkl1te »

I lost my mind searching, so I decided to make my first foot inside the forum to ask you something I didn't find (not even a clue):

Inside the "Configure PCem" window, within Video options there's no "3dfx" neither "voodoo" items rather than just the "Voodoo Graphics" radio button at the end of the window. Back when I was a kid I remember my brother using Diamond Monster 3D 4 MB video card, but there's no such option: instead there's Diamond Stealth 3D with a parenthesis referring such completely different video card "S3 ViRGE" which I read somewhere that it's really bad (btw I used it and even from the bios screen startup turned all gray).

So I've been using VGA the entire time and went crazy trying to make it work with Voodoo Graphics checked, by installing 3dfx drivers (from good old falconfly's site) within Windows 98 SE. However I can only get to install the 3dfx Tools and still won't work as it should (as of now I'm still obviously stuck at 16 colors, 640x480).

I can find easily people making games work within PCme, through Youtube, and screenshots across these forums... which makes me feel so curious:
  • Which video option do you guys set within the configuration window of PCme?
  • Are there any files missing which are required to move into the "roms" folder, if so, which are they?
  • Is this available only as a source code that needs to be compiled somewhere and somehow?
Yes, as you may notice, I don't know as much as you do about this. I'm just an old school gamer that gets frustrated from reading the the same cookie-cutter answer to all problems: "DOSBox" when there are even some games that won't work unless it's Windows 95/98/ME but not XP, neither DOS... I read some posts about 3dfx but not all of them.

To be honest, I registered and made this post, expecting maybe I could get some help getting to the right direction.

EDIT: My host machine uses Windows 7 x64.
Last edited by Arkl1te on Fri 27 Jan, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
omarsis81

Re: To start using 3dfx.

Post by omarsis81 »

You NEED to set the Windows' desktop to 256 colors or more for Voodoo to work, so Install the 2D card driver's and configure the colors
Arkl1te

Post by Arkl1te »

omarsis81 wrote:You NEED to set the Windows' desktop to 256 colors or more for Voodoo to work, so Install the 2D card driver's and configure the colors
As I stated before, I did install the drivers but keeps showing me only two color options within properties -> settings: 2 colors and 16 colors. I'm also limited to 640x480.

The Voodoo drivers are recognized as multimedia device instead of display... I tried forcing the detection with Have Disk but doesn't detect the drivers.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

One thing is the Voodoo card that works as a 3D accelerator, but you also need a 2D display card, an ordinary VGA card: eg. Trident 8900, ViRGE DX, etc...
I believe you installed correctly the Voodoo card, but not the VGA card, hence you are limited to the 16 colors 640x480
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Like Omaris81 have said, you probably have installed 3dfx card, but if you set drivers in windows to "ordinary" vga display adapter, you will only get 16 colors. If your display adapter is , "standard VGA" or "VGA display adapter" or similar , that is the problem, win95 have no drivers for virge dX, you must download it manually, i get them from there http://www.video-drivers.com/companies/906.htm S3 Inc. ViRGE/DX/GX PCI driver, win98 have much better driver list on the system , anyway.
True is that virge dx is pretty bad, but none of other card have 3d acceleration (You dont need that for voodoo, you can choose any card) and no emulator ever emulated D3D card , so i m very happy that we have that virge dx. You got bunch of other display drivers on that site, you can try them. To transfer file to the emulator i use Freeiso creator from https://sourceforge.net/projects/iso-creator-cs/ is very simple and work well on win10 64bits, should work on every system. Just ceate iso (cd image) with the file , and insert iso file in PCem and you will have cd with this file in your emulated system.
You might know all of this, but better to make sure You can do it.
By the way, always check Device manager in Your emulated system to see if display is installed corectly, also on win95 installing directX 6.0 or 7.0a would not hurt.
And in win9x just click right mouse button on My Computer icon, and properities , there You got Device Manager.
And if You can choose the graphic card from the list in PCem, that means that the rom files are allready in the folder, so dont worry.
And Voodoo is a "multimedia Device" in win 9x so dont worry , that is okay. in win98 voodoo might be on windows 3D accelarator list, but stil in device manager it is listed as a Multimedia Device, that is the way it should be, no worries.
And also (sorry) after installing directX you will have DX diag tool in c:/program files/directx and you can check that you will have two displays instead of one , and you can test D3D on it.
leilei

Post by leilei »

szadycbr wrote:, but none of other card have 3d acceleration
The Diamond Stealth3D 2000's a Virge too and can have its 3d emulated (and this card specifically, as there are some s3 games that are locked to recognize this particular specific Diamond video card.)

As for a Virge/DX driver you should grab it from what was once the source. Look for W9531201.zip
Arkl1te

Post by Arkl1te »

leilei wrote:
szadycbr wrote:, but none of other card have 3d acceleration

The Diamond Stealth3D 2000's a Virge too and can have its 3d emulated (and this card specifically, as there are some s3 games that are locked to recognize this particular specific Diamond video card.)

I used the S3_ViRGE DX or the sorts, I'll give that a try too. I still have general doubts as to how driver installation/uninstallation works. If I remove the device from the manager will it delete its drivers too?

leilei wrote: As for a Virge/DX driver you should grab it from what was once the source. Look for W9531201.zip

I used exactly that driver and I THINK that works fine (still needs more testing).

Actually, as of today, the site is miraculously alive (I mean without even using the wayback machine). That's why the file can be downloaded. Praise the spirit of perseverance! ^^

omarsis81 wrote:One thing is the Voodoo card that works as a 3D accelerator, but you also need a 2D display card, an ordinary VGA card: eg. Trident 8900, ViRGE DX, etc...
I believe you installed correctly the Voodoo card, but not the VGA card, hence you are limited to the 16 colors 640x480

szadycbr wrote:Like Omaris81 have said, you probably have installed 3dfx card, but if you set drivers in windows to "ordinary" vga display adapter, you will only get 16 colors. If your display adapter is , "standard VGA" or "VGA display adapter" or similar , that is the problem, win95 have no drivers for virge dX, you must download it manually, i get them from there http://www.video-drivers.com/companies/906.htm S3 Inc. ViRGE/DX/GX PCI driver, win98 have much better driver list on the system , anyway.

I completely forgot about the need of separate 2d and 3d cards. I had Diamond Monster 3D and some other Diamond Multimedia 2D card too. Thanks for the reminder!

szadycbr wrote:You might know all of this, but better to make sure You can do it.

It's good to know for guests or enthusiasts out there, actually I even found that useful in case of wonders. :)

szadycbr wrote:By the way, always check Device manager in Your emulated system to see if display is installed corectly, also on win95 installing directX 6.0 or 7.0a would not hurt.
szadycbr wrote:And also (sorry) after installing directX you will have DX diag tool in c:/program files/directx and you can check that you will have two displays instead of one , and you can test D3D on it.

I installed DirectX 9.0 before installing everything else, and after doing so many installing-uninstalling devices (hoping I'm automatically uninstalling drivers at the same time) for some reason the dxdiag freezes windows right before completing the requested information. Since then it always asks if I should skip 'that' information.

I'll try reinstalling DirectX 9 for now, but I bet the drivers didn't get uninstalled when I removed the wrong devices. I was also trying to connect to the host network via TCP/IP and thus installing random network adapters, but I realised it was hopeless. I read workarounds but they were too messy to understand.... and there was some source code in the middle so I bet it's all unfinished.

szadycbr wrote:And in win9x just click right mouse button on My Computer icon, and properities , there You got Device Manager.
And if You can choose the graphic card from the list in PCem, that means that the rom files are allready in the folder, so dont worry.
And Voodoo is a "multimedia Device" in win 9x so dont worry , that is okay. in win98 voodoo might be on windows 3D accelarator list, but stil in device manager it is listed as a Multimedia Device, that is the way it should be, no worries.

Shouldn't Voodoo devices emulate 3D acceleration though, even if it's detected as a multimedia device? Not even Voodoo1?

I also tried to include the Voodoo3 rom I found, within the roms folder of PCem, but the item didn't come up to choose within the PCem configuration window.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Leilei, You right, i was wrong , dx is not only card and and stealth3d 2000 also have d3d acceleration, although 325 and 375 are almost the same, but i didnt know that 325 had acceleration, just cos when i tried to install sleath 3d long time ago, i must had wrong driver and i could not get d3d working. my fault.
But PCem is the only emulator providing d3d accelerated card, even two , isnt it? (svn dosbox, and bochs have it only recently and it is shit, so no mention that)
I was on the site You posted, just yesterday but for some reason i could not download driver, thats why i provided the other one cos it didnt cause any problems.
Any way i hope that Arkl1te will get this working , and the others , who might have some troubles.
Thanks for correction.
And Your old logo, where you have sip of a drink, was much cooler . :mrgreen:
Last edited by szadycbr on Thu 26 Jan, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

to Arkl1te "Shouldn't Voodoo devices emulate 3D acceleration though, even if it's detected as a multimedia device? Not even Voodoo1?"
Long time ago, when there was no graphics card with D3d acceleration, no openGL, no Glide , and all cards had only 2D acceleration, 3dfx releases voodoo1 which was a seperate card which provided 3d acceleration, i was 3d accelerator, the real accelerator board which had no ability to display the ordinary picture, like windows destop or just booting your PC. itself you cold not called it display adapter cos it could not show anything except something using its driver, therefore it was an separate Accelerator board , so it was called Multimedia device.
In real Pc you connect your real 2d graphic adapter with short vga male/female cable to the voodoo board and the the voodoo card to the monitor. this short vga cable was only passtrough of the signal when voodoo was not working and you want to have display from 2d card on the monitor. When voodoo display driver starts, you could disconect the short cable from 2d card and you will see that voodoo is doing the work alone, no 2d display card needed cos voodoo is working completely separately from your first display adapter, same story with voodoo 2. Voodoo 3 and others had 2d display included so had voodoo rush and banshee , and you could call them a display adapter, but voodoo1 and 2 were only accelerator boards.
PCem emulates only voodoo1 and voodoo2 boards , so putting voodoo3 rom in folder wont make a difference.
Last edited by szadycbr on Fri 27 Jan, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
leilei

Post by leilei »

D3D's an API. PCem doesn't really know what Direct3D is (other than as a backend for rendering). It emulates the card directly.

(also there have been 3d-capable video cards years before 3dfx but none of them had anywhere near the success nor were their specs opened. The first consumer market one is the Matrox Impression (1994). Also there's some non-3dfx secondary 3d cards like the early PowerVR cards which didn't rely on any VGA output and just did it through the bus to the host card (which helps give it advantages lke rendering in a window))
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Leilei, You surprise me a lot. thanks for the info. I forgot about PoverVR, it didnt make much impact i gues. I didnt know about matrox impression, i gues it was way worse than even s3. And surprise again, i didnt know that PoverVR relay on bus transfer, Wonder why 3dfx didnt make that way? Rendering in a window would be hudge advantage for voodoo.
Thank You. :)
Arkl1te

Post by Arkl1te »

szadycbr wrote:Wonder why 3dfx didnt make that way? Rendering in a window would be hudge advantage for voodoo.
Back then, the standard resolutions were 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768, mostly the last two from 2000-01 on.

Doesn't look much of a difference, considering there's not much you can do outside a 640 or 800 window within a 1024 screen (besides using notepad).
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Arkl1te wrote:
szadycbr wrote:Wonder why 3dfx didnt make that way? Rendering in a window would be hudge advantage for voodoo.
Back then, the standard resolutions were 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768, mostly the last two from 2000-01 on.

Doesn't look much of a difference, considering there's not much you can do outside a 640 or 800 window within a 1024 screen (besides using notepad).
Standard Voodoo 1 (Diamond Monster 3D and Creative) cannot do more than 640x480, that limitation was because of the 4MB RAM it came with, other more expensive models I believe could handle 800x600. The same goes with Voodoo2: a single card can do 800x600. When paired in SLI, the RAM added and could achieve 1024x768
Arkl1te

Post by Arkl1te »

Problems I found so far, don't know if either emulator's limit or just me doing things wrong.

=========================
Problem A

Something I didn't expect from this Diamond Stealth 3D is the monochomatic display outside Windows. After that, Windows is coloured.

1st update:
I fix this issue temporarily by entering the BIOS setup, cycling the setup colors, and then save & exit (or without saving). Weird, right? After that, it remains coloured, but when I hard reset it goes back to monochromatic.

2nd update:
Ok now does what seem to be 4 system error beeps as soon as machine starts all over again (after exiting BIOS, doesn't matter if saving changes or not): 1 large beep then 3 short ones. After that the video display starts again in monochromatic. Sometimes this happen, sometimes doesn't happen and keeps mono, and the last possible scenario is the expected colored non-windows display.

Consider all of this happen when using the video device: "Diamond Stealth 3D (S3 ViRGE)"

Problem B

Also I can't get it to recognize the 3Dfx properly, and I can note that because Stealth 3D can run at least the first D3D test, whereas 3Dfx releases an error.

Problem C

Another thing I didn't mention (and gets really annoying): the sound stutters really often, even from the Windows' startup audio.

Here's my PCem configuration, not sure what to do about that, but I bet it has something to do with machine's performance...

Video: Diamond Stealth 3D 2000's (S3 ViRGE) configuration

Soundcard: Sound Blaster AWE32's configuration

Voodoo Graphics' configuration
ender

Post by ender »

szadycbr wrote:like windows destop or just booting your PC.
Note that this isn't strictly true - there were beta drivers released for Windows 2000 that let you use a Voodoo card to connect a secondary display and use it for Windows desktop.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Arkl1te wrote:sound stutters really often[/b], even from the Windows' startup audio.
Sound stuttering is because you are trying to emulate a CPU your (host) computer is not able to emulate at full speed. That´s why you have a percentage number in the PCem's window. If it is below 100% you will get sound stuttering- For what I see in your screenshots you are around 82%.
Solution: try to emulate a lower CPU: like a Pentium MMX 166, or decrease the cache from Infinite to "A lot"
Arkl1te

Post by Arkl1te »

omarsis81 wrote: Sound stuttering is because you are trying to emulate a CPU your (host) computer is not able to emulate at full speed. That´s why you have a percentage number in the PCem's window. If it is below 100% you will get sound stuttering- For what I see in your screenshots you are around 82%.
That's what I thought... but...
omarsis81 wrote:you are trying to emulate a CPU your (host) computer is not able to emulate at full speed.
Not even an Intel i5 quad core processor can emulate mere 233 MHz? I believe something doesn't feel right about that, or maybe I'm missing some factor to understand the reason behind this slow behaviour.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Arkl1te wrote:
omarsis81 wrote: Sound stuttering is because you are trying to emulate a CPU your (host) computer is not able to emulate at full speed. That´s why you have a percentage number in the PCem's window. If it is below 100% you will get sound stuttering- For what I see in your screenshots you are around 82%.
That's what I thought... but...
omarsis81 wrote:you are trying to emulate a CPU your (host) computer is not able to emulate at full speed.
Not even an Intel i5 quad core processor can emulate mere 233 MHz? I believe something doesn't feel right about that, or maybe I'm missing some factor to understand the reason behind this slow behaviour.
I can't give you the best opinion here as to why is not fast, but you can read a recent post here from Sarah (main PCem developer)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=603
Mainly, PCem emulates every CPU instruction in software and that's makes it slow, also PCem is not fully optimized
I have a 4790k and the MMX 233 works very good
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

To Arkl1e, Omarsis81 is right, sound sluttering is only happend if your cpu can not emulate 100%, you have i5-4570 @ 3.20GHz so p166mmx should hopefully work fine and always at 100%.
I m using Diamond stealth 3D 2000 as of yesterday and it does not cause me any problems. I m not an expert at all, but when i deleted NVR folder from PCem then bios would not save any settings , and after hard reset was the same as before, dont know but check ,do You have NVR folder in PCem directory?
Also , what is your windows? cos if My computer icon on your screen is the top one, it looks kinda like millenium, if it is millenium i would advise you to install normal 95 or 98, better 98.
Then reinstall the system and do it all again, and it should all work fine.
Do you using v11 from PCem site? cos if not then You should.
And as a sound card put better good old sb16, it was compatible with everything.
Jus a thought. and i believe that win 10 handles PCem beter than win 7. in general on my i5 2140m 2.7ghz (on boost) everything works a bit faster since i got win 10.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

szadycbr wrote:To Arkl1e, Omarsis81 is right, sound sluttering is only happend if your cpu can not emulate 100%, you have i5-4570 @ 3.20GHz so p166mmx should hopefully work fine and always at 100%.
I m using Diamond stealth 3D 2000 as of yesterday and it does not cause me any problems. I m not an expert at all, but when i deleted NVR folder from PCem then bios would not save any settings , and after hard reset was the same as before, dont know but check ,do You have NVR folder in PCem directory?
Also , what is your windows? cos if My computer icon on your screen is the top one, it looks kinda like millenium, if it is millenium i would advise you to install normal 95 or 98, better 98.
Then reinstall the system and do it all again, and it should all work fine.
Do you using v11 from PCem site? cos if not then You should.
And as a sound card put better good old sb16, it was compatible with everything.
Jus a thought. and i believe that win 10 handles PCem beter than win 7. in general on my i5 2140m 2.7ghz (on boost) everything works a bit faster since i got win 10.
And last but not least, I believe (based on recent posts) a new version of PCem is due anytime soon with lots of improvements, so that should make it a little faster too
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Mr. Omarsis81 , he got 3.2ghz base and 3.6ghz turbo, i m sure when he run PCem his cpu works at 3.6 and trying hard, You however have 4.0ghz base and 4.4ghz turbo and please do check, cos when your cpu does very hard work is always pushing turbo, non stop and i belive yours on PCem does the same and it is at 4.4ghz vs 3.6ghz, You see the difference? 800mhz and 2Mb of cache more, makes a hudge difference. any way i wish to have that cpu in my laptop, uff you got a monster :o
Arkl1te

Post by Arkl1te »

szadycbr wrote:To Arkl1e, Omarsis81 is right, sound sluttering is only happend if your cpu can not emulate 100%, you have i5-4570 @ 3.20GHz so p166mmx should hopefully work fine and always at 100%.
I see. I believe it needs more time, getting optimized and stuff, I hope the project doesn't get dropped off anytime soon though: so far, it's the only emulator which, by just watching the BIOS setting up, it brings back childhood memories. :')
szadycbr wrote:I m using Diamond stealth 3D 2000 as of yesterday and it does not cause me any problems. I m not an expert at all, but when i deleted NVR folder from PCem then bios would not save any settings , and after hard reset was the same as before, dont know but check ,do You have NVR folder in PCem directory?
Yes, I do.
szadycbr wrote:Also , what is your windows? cos if My computer icon on your screen is the top one, it looks kinda like millenium, if it is millenium i would advise you to install normal 95 or 98, better 98. Then reinstall the system and do it all again, and it should all work fine.
Windows 98 SE. I obviously don't mind installing all over again with normal 98, but I thought the difference is only with the drivers.
szadycbr wrote:Do you using v11 from PCem site? cos if not then You should.
I totally do. I always take original sources and/or official sites as first priority. :)
szadycbr wrote:And as a sound card put better good old sb16, it was compatible with everything.
For childhood's sake I used AWE32, some games had compatibility up to SB16 though. So yeah, I'll give it a try.
szadycbr wrote:Jus a thought. and i believe that win 10 handles PCem beter than win 7.

I happen to have Win10 installed in another partition. I find it really annoying for personal reasons (you see, I installed Win10 back then when I wanted to get Killer Instinct in my virtual hands, yet I hate to pass through Microsoft Store's user interface to update/play it). However, reviewing my opinion about it, I don't believe Win10 works entirely round a mere poorly made Microsoft service. :P
szadycbr wrote:in general on my i5 2140m 2.7ghz (on boost) everything works a bit faster since i got win 10.

But if you say so, after some more tries I'll give it a shot with Win10 as well. :mrgreen:

Btw, by "boost" you mean you overclocked the processor? That's some stuff I don't even want to experiment yet.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

MR. Arkl1e, dont worry about win10 passing any information, i love the system and i had everyone since ms.Dos, win311....and so on, and 10 is definitely the best from them all, just do not connect to net when you install, then You can set everything off in optiond here and there , and i always start Task Scheduler and i leave almost nothing in it, my win 10 is working like good old 98, and no i do not have installed any update at all, it works perfectely so why would i need one? BTW windows store is off completely and Edge browser is gone, (You dont need that too since win 7 does not have it). i needed to switch a bit more off, and Edge wont work without some functions.
At first it takes some time, but its worth it, and this peacefully hard disk diode, it does not do anything behind, i love it.
Also check system Performance in task menager and WiFi , then if its working , check what aplication or service needs to be disabled, almost all of them anyway.
Sorry , it has nothing to do with PCem , but i love win 10.
By boost i mean Turbo, thats original feature, your CPU is really 3.6 ghz but it works at 3.2 ,in general to save energy, same as in tablets and smartPhones , and if it do intensive calculations it goes full speed.
And i would love overclock that shit but no one ever did that in mobile i5. i always overclocked my every desktop Cpu and some laptops, but i cant do it with i5 2140m. And honestely i advise You , dont do it.
Last edited by szadycbr on Fri 27 Jan, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkl1te

Post by Arkl1te »

By the way, which video device is better?

Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 (S3 ViRGE)
- or -
S3 ViRGE /DX

For the record, the Stealth 3D starts monochromatic whereas S3 ViRGE /DX does not. Does this happen to anyone else than me?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

S3 ViRGE/DX is better. I've not seen the Stealth 3D start in monochrome mode - possibly a video BIOS issue?
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

i also have not seen any problems with stealth 3D, You said that you got that mono option in bios settings on, and your bios just does not seems to Save the changes, You said that. I think something might be wrong with your bios settings or file or something. dont know, really.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Stealth3D 2000 going monochrome is a "some all-in-one repacker picked the wrong bios" pebkac issue.

Using a properly dumped Diamond Stealth3D bios won't have this issue.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

HI , Leilei, if the video bios is or might be the issue, cant we then post that .bin file here? or it would be some kind of violation?
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

szadycbr wrote:HI , Leilei, if the video bios is or might be the issue, cant we then post that .bin file here? or it would be some kind of violation?
It is copyrighted and not allowed in this forum. That's why they don't come with PCem ;)