Internet with Windows 95?

Support and general discussion.
ETPC

Internet with Windows 95?

Post by ETPC »

Hi all!

So I recently got PCem set up because i heard it is really good for old games that don't work on windows 10/have no source ports/no fan patches. However, I was wondering how to setup the internet in PCem? Is it possible? I just want to get all the service packs and patches for windows 95.
omarsis81

Re: Internet with Windows 95?

Post by omarsis81 »

There is a Network card emulation in development and it was about to be implemented in this recent releaae, but something happened and still working on it
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

There was a NE2000 network card emulation in development and it's still being worked on.

For now, if you want to use internet access with Windows 95, I suggest other emulators such as VMware Workstation Player or older versions of Qemu. VirtualBox has problems running Windows 95 as a guest OS.

If you run Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 as a guest OS, you can run Microsoft Virtual PC. :)
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

As Omarsis81 said, PCem curently does not emulate Ethernet/Lan adapter nor a modem, so no internet. You dont really need to download any Patches and service packs for win95 to be working correctly, and if you install 95/osr2 then you have pretty much everything you need. Old versions of directX you will find online. I do use win98SE for games, its kinda the same, still DOS based system. Get yourself FreeIso crator to transfer downloaded files , and it is all ok.
And virtual PC dont have 3d accelerated graphics in windows 9x and does not emulate 3Dfx voodoo 1/2.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

szadycbr wrote:You dont really need to download any Patches and service packs for win95 to be working correctly, and if you install 95/osr2 then you have pretty much everything you need. Old versions of directX you will find online. I do use win98SE for games, its kinda the same, still DOS based system. Get yourself FreeIso crator to transfer downloaded files , and it is all ok.
And virtual PC dont have 3d accelerated graphics in windows 9x and does not emulate 3Dfx voodoo 1/2.
He was not talking about patches for Windows 95, he mentioned patches for old games to run in modern OSes like Windows 7 or newer
ETPC

Post by ETPC »

Thank you all! I'll bypass the internet setup then :)
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

hey , Omarsis81, he said: "it is really good for old games that don't work on windows 10/have no source ports/no fan patches" and it means exactely that, then he wanna to set up internet , saying: "I just want to get all the service packs and patches for windows 95".
I m not "Smart ass" but a "fool on the hill" but you did jump on me.
All the best.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

I am not sure you need any Microsoft update patches to run Win95. Obviously having the OSR2 version might help, but on its own Win95 can do many tasks without additional patches from Microsoft. Back then you did not need constant patches, service packs and updates from Microsoft. Indeed, Win98 always listed new updates as installed programs on your PC, and not as an integrated component of Windows. In Win98, you could easily uninstall any updates you wanted to remove.

Windows 98 is a good upgrade path if you need USB connectivity. It is also much better for internet use, although using any of these old operating systems on the internet is a bad idea, assuming any websites work at all with the old browsers.

PCem offers users the chance to do things we just cannot do using other products like Microsoft Virtual PC, VMware, or virtualbox. All of these have their own strengths and weaknesses, but for 3D acceleration in Win95/98, PCem is the only solution. Voodoo emulation is by far one of the greatest things ever done, and with the Voodoo 2 there are so many programs you could run now. One I will eventually try is NHL 2000. It never worked on modern PCs. The Voodoo is so important for these old games. The old card was such a big upgrade for the old Pentium computers back in the day. So far Jedi Outcast is the only game I can think of that really needs a Pentium 2 to run.

Unfortunately getting Virtual PC working in Win 8/10 is very difficult. I was able to get it working with Win 8, eventually, but this was lost when I upgraded to Win 10. I will try that again later. It was interesting given that with this program I could get Dark Forces and Doom working, but not Wolfenstein 3D. For that, PCem is the only option.

VMware is generally good for a number of programs, but it will never run Star Trek Armada. Virtualbox has some great features, but it generally has much less 3D capability than VMware, which can run games like Quake 3, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Elite Force, Battlefield 2, and Star Wars Battlefront II.

I have never tried PCem with the internet, but I am sure it would work fine, even with XP. My only concern would be the age of the OS.

Eventually I have to try Unreal Tournament in a virtualized or emulated environment. It worked in VMware back when it had very rudimentary 3D acceleration. Today it may work better.

I hope you found this helpful. The 98-02 period was a great one for PC gaming, and PCs in general. Obviously things improved with Win XP, but things just were not the same after Win 98.
Zup

Post by Zup »

tk421 wrote:I am not sure you need any Microsoft update patches to run Win95. Obviously having the OSR2 version might help, but on its own Win95 can do many tasks without additional patches from Microsoft. Back then you did not need constant patches, service packs and updates from Microsoft. Indeed, Win98 always listed new updates as installed programs on your PC, and not as an integrated component of Windows. In Win98, you could easily uninstall any updates you wanted to remove.
If you intend to use it on Internet, using Winsock 2 is almost mandatory. It was distributed as an addon, but I don't remember if it was included with any IE distribution.