Black Dahlia says not enough free space

Support and general discussion.
Orchidsworn

Black Dahlia says not enough free space

Post by Orchidsworn »

Clearly showing enough space for the game but it continues to tell me it does not have enough. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Attachments
Black Dahlia Error.jpg
Black Dahlia Error.jpg (115.04 KiB) Viewed 14786 times
tr.StEalTH

Re: Black Dahlia says not enough free space

Post by tr.StEalTH »

I didn't have this problem, but I installed to c: You may need to go to My Computer then your CD Rom Drive which holds the CD click on it, Locate the file called: AUTOFIX.EXE On my build the movies lag a lot!
ResidentAEVA

Post by ResidentAEVA »

I was able to get this game running a few months ago, without any major issues. I had the game running on Windows 95 (Retail Edition), emulating a Pentium 120Mhz, 256 RAM, and a 4 GB HDD. SB16 was also the emulated soundcard for this VM.

In my tests, if you start pushing above 120Mhz, then you will start getting lag and playback issues. Even if you have this game running at the bare minimum system requirements, which was a Pentium 90Mhz, it will still run rather well. The video play back was pretty much spot on, and I was able to play up to the train level, until I had to do a full system reformat later on.

For installation, I installed the game on the C drive, so I could recommend you install the game on the C drive. There was also an official patch for Black Dahlia, which I would recommend you install for improved stability.

The system I had this running on, was an i7-6700HQ, 32GB RAM, 960M video card, with the VM running off of a 5400 RPM HDD.
Orchidsworn

Post by Orchidsworn »

tr.StEalTH wrote:I didn't have this problem, but I installed to c: You may need to go to My Computer then your CD Rom Drive which holds the CD click on it, Locate the file called: AUTOFIX.EXE On my build the movies lag a lot!
I get the same error on C: or D:
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

autofix.exe then run setup.exe didn't fix it? ResidentAEVA talked of a patch, not sure if that could help being its not installed. I seen a few other people talking about this problem on google could try a look! I was running w95 125mhz I could try dropping that to 90mhz, nice tip Res!
ReubenB

Post by ReubenB »

Orchidsworn wrote:
tr.StEalTH wrote:I didn't have this problem, but I installed to c: You may need to go to My Computer then your CD Rom Drive which holds the CD click on it, Locate the file called: AUTOFIX.EXE On my build the website here sells the Bathmate X40 movies lag a lot!
I get the same error on C: or D:
Same here. I've given up for now unless anyone knows another solution. I'm sure I have enough space too.
Last edited by ReubenB on Sun 22 Oct, 2017 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

Well its not a bug with pcem, the game does this on real computers. I still think if you open the CD Rom drive witch holds the CD and run autofix.exe then setup.exe right out of the Explorer and not the "CD autorun!" It will install with no problems, Sorry if I'm just beating the mule here! Also running the game at 90mhz will make the movies play without lag..Thanks again ResidentAEVA!
Orchidsworn

Post by Orchidsworn »

Used a Pirate first CD and it installed without any trouble or fixes or patches. As far as I can tell once installed the game is running just fine so likely some problem with the disc and you are all right not a PCEM problem.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

Black Dahlia was released on February 28, 1998. Checking the minimum system requirements from MobyGames, the game requires the following:

* Intel Pentium processor running at least 90 MHz
* 16 MB of RAM
* 1 MB of video RAM
* a 4x CD-ROM drive
* Windows 95 with DirectX 5 installed

The game will run on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millenium and even Windows 2000. The game will not run properly on Windows XP or later or on PCs with more than one core installed.

From the looks of FAT32 support, you seem to be running Windows 95 OSR2, correct?

As for the required disk space, I don't think that the game would require that much disk space and there appears to be a problem with the disc that you're using.
Cheez

Post by Cheez »

It sounds like the installer itself is checking for free space and it probably fails over 4GB
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

Cheez wrote: Thu 11 Apr, 2019 10:11 pm It sounds like the installer itself is checking for free space and it probably fails over 4GB
That doesn't sound too good. If the hard disk is 4GB or smaller, it will somehow install, correct?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

You realise this is a two year old thread you're bumping here, right?
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

SarahWalker wrote: Fri 12 Apr, 2019 9:10 am You realise this is a two year old thread you're bumping here, right?
Yep. If I bumped this thread, I must apologise for what happened here. :)
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I don't see the point in bumping this old thread as someone recently posted this game works OK
http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/viewt ... f=2&t=3197
Cheez

Post by Cheez »

Huh, I hadn't realized it was bumped, so I just responded pointlessly to what I thought might have been a new thread.

Regardless, the problem in this thread remained unsolved and the one who posted the other thread is not only a different person but didn't mention having any issues at all. I still hold that the only issue would be the installer being unable to understand a free space byte count over 32 bits.