Feature Request: Missing ROMs warning instead of hiding configs

Support and general discussion.
jbenam

Feature Request: Missing ROMs warning instead of hiding configs

Post by jbenam »

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for your awesome work on PCem!

I was wondering if you could add a missing ROM warning a-la WinUAE, which will tell you which roms you're missing (along with the expected filename) right now to run a certain config - instead of just hiding them.

Whenever something new is added, I have to prowl through the sources or check every commit to understand what am I missing or how should I rename my ROMs :lol:

omarsis81

Re: Feature Request: Missing ROMs warning instead of hiding configs

Post by omarsis81 »

Or... an easier way is to read here:
https://bitbucket.org/pcem_emulator/pcem
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

On bitbucket there is the actual list, but in general you should always read Readme.txt , its there for a reason.
jbenam

Post by jbenam »

omarsis81 wrote:Or... an easier way is to read here:
https://bitbucket.org/pcem_emulator/pcem
szadycbr wrote:On bitbucket there is the actual list, but in general you should always read Readme.txt , its there for a reason.
Err, I usually compile directly from source - and the readme is only updated every major public release. Having a warning system would work for nightlies too, that way.
ruben_balea

Post by ruben_balea »

OK, I must admit that sometimes I have similar problems so I've made a set of dummy roms of different sizes, both single file and interleaved.
Are based on the Generic XT rom so there are not copyright worries.

It's the same Generic XT rom file expanded to those other sizes adding all the needed padding bytes at the beginning of the file to keep it bootable. All padding bytes were set to 0x00 to keep the ROM checksum correct.
Then I've splitted each size into low/high (AKA even/ood) bytes to create interleaved files.

Simply copy the correct type and size ones to the rom folder of the machine you want to configure and rename them to their corresponding names (you'll find this in mem.c)
Of course the system won't work (at most it will be like a generic XT) but it will appear in the list and you'll be able to configure it.

Won't be a solution for some systems which have a more complex romset like IBM's

Take a look to the readme.txt file included in the compressed archive for more info.

PCem dummy roms.rar
(16.96 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
jbenam

Post by jbenam »

Great, didn't think of it - thank you very much!