Old Packard Bell Machines

Support and general discussion.
jznomoney

Old Packard Bell Machines

Post by jznomoney »

Is there any chance of adding older packard bell machines to pcem. I use to have a packard bell c110 machine based on the pb600 motherboard with a Phoenix BIOS "Agoura Release 1.xx". It had a 120mhz pentium socket 5. What are your thoughts on this sarah?
omarsis81

Re: Old Packard Bell Machines

Post by omarsis81 »

I *guess* it would depend on the chipset it has. Maybe it is already emulated and that would be more easy to add
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

PB600 seems to have a VLSI chipset, plus an onboard Cirrus Logic 5430/5434 graphics chip, neither of which are currently emulated...
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

A quick google suggests that the PB68x and PB770 motherboards would be more easily emulatable, as PCem already has the VX chipset and the ATi/S3 graphics chips used by them. No promises though!
jznomoney

Post by jznomoney »

Thanks for your reply Sarah. I do like all the hard work you do to keep this emulator going.
leilei

Post by leilei »

The NEC PC-9821 line is also similarly slapped together. The closest model of that I can find that PCem would have a chance at is the PC-9821V233 (a 430VX PMMX233)
ArtiomWin

Post by ArtiomWin »

leilei wrote:The NEC PC-9821 line is also similarly slapped together. The closest model of that I can find that PCem would have a chance at is the PC-9821V233 (a 430VX PMMX233)
Or Powermate V. Moreover, I still have some old patches from dns2k/dns2kv2, which include ones for Powermate V and Powermate P. Also I have some ROMs for Packard Bell machines (incl. pre-NEC boards like PB450 or PB600) and many others machines.
Battler

Post by Battler »

I think dns2k/dns2kv2 is the guy from from the RetroROMs forum who made a lot of patches that "add" stuff, but often with very poor emulation. I genuinely wonder how he got the PowerMate V to work anyway, considering I tried to add it once, and I couldn't get PCI graphics cards to display anything at all, and with an ISA graphics card, the BIOS would just lock up anyway.
BoisterousSleet75

Post by BoisterousSleet75 »

-
Last edited by BoisterousSleet75 on Sun 03 Dec, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live Marxism-Leninism-Maoism! ☭
dns2kv2

Post by dns2kv2 »

Battler wrote:I think dns2k/dns2kv2 is the guy from from the RetroROMs forum who made a lot of patches that "add" stuff, but often with very poor emulation. I genuinely wonder how he got the PowerMate V to work anyway, considering I tried to add it once, and I couldn't get PCI graphics cards to display anything at all, and with an ISA graphics card, the BIOS would just lock up anyway.
yep thats me.

my dns2k id were never get an approval in this forum more than a year, maybe bcos i use gmail,
so i re-register again here with dns2kv2 id but using my corporate email and get approved.

the necp and necv is based on i430xx, the simple patch that i made is based on pcem i430vx.
the patch just add the bios and it don't fix the io conflict (diskette drive io, serial & lpt io address)

the easiest way without the patch to see how it works is by renaming the necp or necv rom to 55xwuq0e.bin,
put it in the pcem 430vx rom folder and start the pcem emulator with the 430vx machine selected. when you see the nec logo, then you are on the right track.
bewarn: test this using pcem v8.1 up to v11, the v12 up to the latest commit break the test.

press f2 button to clear the nec logo, and press f2 again to enter the bios.

you will never ever see my patches like necp, necv or other which is incomplete in this forum unless it had been fixed to a point of "playable".
BoisterousSleet75

SarahWalker wrote:A quick google suggests that the PB68x and PB770 motherboards would be more easily emulatable, as PCem already has the VX chipset and the ATi/S3 graphics chips used by them. No promises though!
I agree, but PB770 has an Aztech AZT2320 (R2) Super Integrated Audio Chip According to uktsupport.co.uk. which has not been emulated.

PB68x also uses S3 Trio64V+, which also not emulated (except S3 ViRGE and Trio64).
BoisterousSleet75

*removed*
Last edited by BoisterousSleet75 on Sun 03 Dec, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Fortunately the Mystique isn't bolted on and can be swapped for something else...
BoisterousSleet75

leilei wrote:Fortunately the Mystique isn't bolted on and can be swapped for something else...
Okay. Thanks!