Jedi Knight menu hangs

Support and general discussion.
leilei

Jedi Knight menu hangs

Post by leilei »

Easily reproducible by going into Options/Video and simply hovering the mouse over the video mode list. Also trying to start a new single player game will trigger the hang. The cursor will disappear and the system will freeze (task manager won't save you here)

AM5x86(both recompiler and interpreter) & Pentium MMX & Cyrix6x86, S3 Trio64, Win95B. Also occurs with ET4000 w32p. I don't know if it involved the last two commits or not. Does NOT occur with ET4000AX (mouse cursor is invisible instead and the menus work without hanging). Does NOT occur on Mach64.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Jedi Knight menu hangs

Post by SarahWalker »

Pretty certain this is driver issues - Jedi Knight looks to be drawing the mouse pointer with unaligned writes, which don't work well when using a banked framebuffer. Windows generally won't set up a linear framebuffer for non-PCI cards, so if you're emulating an ISA/VLB motherboard then this won't work.

ET4000W32/p is a special case as the most common BIOS is of the VLB Diamond Stealth 32, so PCem has to disable the PCI interface with this video BIOS to prevent some PCI BIOSes from rejecting the card. Even with a good BIOS it looks like the PCI mapping is broken, which I'm looking into.

Not sure why this is happening with the Trio64, this should be a PCI card and does set up an LFB for me. Maybe try a different driver?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

ET4000W32/p PCI mapping fixed in rev 909. It looks like Microsoft's driver doesn't use an LFB even with a valid PCI mapping - I recommend using Tseng's driver (W32W95.ZIP) instead.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Changing drivers for the S3 Trio64 around a bit (between whatever Dx5 had and OSR2 had) seems to work around the S3 Trio menu freeze, or at least I can't seem to reproduce it anymore. :S